Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ryan200
Channel Surfer

Re: poor youtube 720p interpolation up to 1080p tv

this is a pic of what it looks like, it shows the video itself is 720 but the tv is displaying it at 1080 and that the video is very pixelated.

Shared album - Ryan Potter - Google Photos

not the best picture but look at how smooth the text is vs how pixelated the corn is.

the roku is upscaling which makes sense you wouldnt want the tv changing resolution for every short video cause its slow. but the roku is currently using a poor quality upscaler, it is a bug.

0 Kudos
ROGERCPOST
Channel Surfer

I too noticed pixelated corn after my morning cup of coffee.

Sorry, that's my inner Peter Griffin coming out 😉

Roku engineers are working on it, haven't heard back in a while. It's a bug triggered when Roku is connected to some older 1080 TV's.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Hi Community users,

Thanks for the posts regarding the pixelation that you are experiencing during channel playback.

We would be more than happy to look further into this issue, but we will need more details. Can you please provide us the following information:

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  • brand and model TV you are connecting the Roku device to
  • does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
  • tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times and provide us with this ID)
  • steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing 
  • screenshot of what is appearing on screen so we can better understand what you are experiencing

Once we have this information, we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further. We look forward to hearing back your responses.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Mnale
Binge Watcher

Model - 4662RW - Roku Ultra LT

Serial - YJ0093669279

Software - 11.5.0 Build 4312-46 

Device ID - 046179669279

TV - LG UH6030 / Software Version 5.70.35

The other details have been well documented in this thread by myself and others.

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Hi @Mnale 

Thanks for responding and providing us with your device information.

Please be aware that I have passed along your concerns and details to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further. Once more information is available, I'll be sure to update this Community thread.

Your patience and understanding in the meantime is much apprecaited.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Hi Community users,

Thanks for your patience while we continue to investigate the issue being reported.

If possible, can you please provide us with a video illustrating the issue you are experiencing so we can better understand what you are seeing?

Once we have this information, we will be able to pass it along to be looked into further.

We look forward to hearing back from you to assist us with this issue.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
alankubey
Reel Rookie

Can confirm same issue (noticing watching playoffs on ESPN and ABC in 720P). Two different Streaming Stick + units on older Samsung 1080Ps. Completely powering off both Roku and TV and ensuring first channel selected out of gate on YouTube TV is 720 rather than 1080 fixes it (until you go to a 1080 channel and make the problem crop up again). Hope there is a firmware fix.

The two TVs are:
Samsung LS26TDNSUV/ZA and
Samsung UN55D6000SFXZA

Of note, when it works, it looks a LOT better. The LS26TDNSUV/ZA live display of ESPN on ABC looks better than my brand new desktop w/ a GTX 3060 Ti powering a 4K screen. 

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Mnale
Binge Watcher

As a follow up, I have decided to move on to different streaming device. The poor quality Roku Ultra 720 picture is a too much of a deal breaker for me. I'll continue to check in to see if they will ever fix this, but until then, I have purchased a great streamer at less than half the price with much faster performance... and of course no 720p issues. Good luck everyone.

Oharage
Reel Rookie

Happens with Spectrum Channel as well. If you turn on Fox News (720 p channel) it’s pixelated, change to a 1080p channel and the picture is fine. Power cycle the Roku Ultra open the Spectrum Channel and turn it to Fox and the picture is good, change to a 1080p channel then back to Fox News and it’s pixelated. 

ryan200
Channel Surfer

yeah i noticed it with spectrum channels as well, very frustrating.

0 Kudos