Channels & viewing

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rdesgr
Level 8

can't watch ghosts on cbs channel

Installed cbs channel to watch Ghosts season 1.  But when I click on the 1st episode, the screen says to expand my viewing pleasure by installing paramount+.  So I did.  But even with p+ installed, I still get that stupid paramount+ recommendation.  Ghosts show is shown to be free view on cbs channel, but apparently there is some falsehoods about that.  How do I get to view those 'free' episodes without having to add yet another costly streaming service?

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
RokuKariza-D
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: can't watch ghosts on cbs channel

Hello @rdesgr

Thanks for the post.

Please be advised that Roku only rents and transmits the channel and is not responsible for the content. Contents are directly chosen by the respective channel and we have no control over the programming or operation of it. We would recommend contacting the channel directly for more information and assistance.

We appreciate your understanding.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

The live broadcast of your local CBS station is free to receive via an over-the-air antenna connected to your television, if you can get reception.  Otherwise you are stuck having to stream and pay for it in one way or the other.  CBS won't stream it to you for free.

In order to stream via the CBS channel app on Roku or other streamer, CBS requires you to have a paid "tv provider" account that carries CBS, such as a cable or satellite subcription.  Then you can log into the CBS app with your "tv provider" credentials.  Shows there stream "free" only in the sense that you pay nothing more to stream because because you're already paying CBS via the "tv provider" account subscription.

Another way is to have a paid streaming account to one of the streaming services that carry local stations, such as Sling, YouTubeTV, Hulu with Live TV, etc.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
rdesgr
Level 8

Yes, I'm on Spectrum cable.  And yet, season 1 appears to be off-limits unless I cough up more dough for yet another streaming service regardless of my provider (Spectrum) and service (CBS).  

Thank you for replying. 

0 Kudos
rdesgr
Level 8

Thank you for replying.  I didn't find any method to contact the channel (CBS) directly on the Roku.  Do you happen to know where to find that info?

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
makaiguy

@rdesgr-

Have you logged into the CBS app on Roku with your Spectrum credentials?

Sometimes it helps to reset things at the other end by logging out of the app and back in.

For contacting CBS, this could be a good place to start:  CBS Help Center

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

0 Kudos
makaiguy

@rdesgr-

I finally got around to installing the CBS app to check it out. 

I get the same thing you do on Ghosts, on both a Roku TV and a Streaming Stick 4K+.  All series 1 episodes just bring up the "Expand your viewing pleasure by installing Paramount+" page.  Clicking the "Got it" link, does nothing but make the page go away and return you to the episode page.  I CAN view both seasons on Paramount+.

Investigating a few other current programs on the CBS app, I find that when you view all available episodes, some shows only list the current season.  Others list all seasons, but only the current one will play, with all earlier seasons getting you the same "Expand your viewing pleasure by installing Paramount+" page.

So it appears that CBS has chosen to only make current season episodes available via their "tv provider" CBS streaming app.

0 Kudos