Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Richie4

can't get espn even though I have a subscription

I have a subscription to ESPN but I cannot receive it when trying to select it

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3

Re: can't get espn even though I have a subscription

same as me and can't find any help on line they are happy to take my money

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

@Richie4-

The ESPN app on Roku is not one to which you can subscribe.  It is free to download and install but in order to watch regular programming as you would see on the ESPN family of cable/satellite channels you must authenticate the app with "tv provider" credentials, i.e. logging in using your email and password from a cable/satellite subscription that includes ESPN.   This is how ESPN gets paid, out of the fees you pay the "tv provider".

Another way to pay for ESPN is by a paid subscription to a streaming service that includes ESPN as part of its package.  Examples would be Directv Stream, fubu, Hulu plus Live TV, Sling, vidgo, and YouTube TV.

ESPN does have an "add on" premium service that you CAN pay to subscribe to, called ESPN+.  Within the ESPN app, some programs will have an ESPN+ banner shown in the upper left corner of the program's thumbnail image.  These can only be viewed if you have an ESPN+ subscription.  I don't have an ESPN+ subscription so I only know what I've read.  If you have no "tv provider" account for ESPN, but you do have an ESPN+ subscription, my understanding is you only can view the stuff marked as ESPN+ inside the ESPN app, not the "regular" ESPN stuff without the ESPN+ banner.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

Could you give a more detailed description?  I can think of several scenarios that might be described as: “cannot receive it when trying to select it”.

0 Kudos