Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chrisland1966
Reel Rookie

Re: Apple TV App - Video Unavailable

Jump to solution

I've figured out the problem.

Programs that have an ad to start won't play on the Roku device. I'm rewatching "Ted Lasso" and those programs start without any problem on the Roku device except for the first episode in season 2. That episode has advertising that precedes the episode and it doesn't play until after I have played the episode on my phone past the opening credits. 

there is some conflict in your coding for Roku devices to play the preceding ads. AppleTV plays fine on my computer or my phone, ads and all. 

0 Kudos
ajihu

Roku won't play Apple TV+

Jump to solution

So I got Apple TV+ again, this is our second time having it. But for some reason, Roku doesn't want to work with it anymore. The site loads fine but every time we try to watch a video we get the "video not available, there was a problem loading the video. If this continues check your internet connection." So logically, I've done that. Connection is fine. Reset the app? Same message. Uninstall and reinstall the app? Same message. Try a different internet? Same message. Contact Roku support? Same message. The Dolby audio trick? Same message. Cast from iPhone to the TV? Same message. I'm at my wit's end here! Does anyone know if Apple is any help because my next step is to call them. If we can't get this to work, we're going to get rid of the subscription. Please help!

We have a Roku streaming stick black 3800

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@chrisland1966

Thanks for the post.

For more information about that channel's features and functionality, you'll want to contact the channel provider support directly to inquire further. Many channels on Roku are developed and maintained by the channel provider themselves. 

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Dvrslave
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

@chrisland1966 @RokuDanny-R @@Yep! The only way to bypass it is to watch the program on your phone or computer until it gets past the ads and then pause it and then go back to your Roku and resume from where you paused it. It's the only work around that actually works

Roku continues to blame Apple TV and Apple tv continues to blame Roku therefore I don't see the issue ever actually being corrected.

0 Kudos
GetTheTruth
Reel Rookie

Re: apple tv+ videos not available

Jump to solution

I have three televsions, all operated by Roku remotes.  All streaming services worked perfectly except for Apple+, and Apple+ worked fine on 1 of the 3 sets.  The error messages "video not available" could be avoided with the work around you mention - start the video on a different device and then "resume" on the problematic TV.

I tried to get Apple+ support help, but their engagement was not effective.  I did find the solution, however.  The fix was through Roku settings..  I found that "Display Type" needed to be changed to "Auto Detect."  The problematic TVs were set to 1080p which worked fine with all other streaming services.  Changing the setting to "Auto Detect" resolved my problem.

discovered the same work-around, but I also sought out Apple support to resolve the issue.  They were not helpful, so I dug into the problem further and discovered

0 Kudos
RRJ

Jump to solution

The moderator boots all issues to Apple TV.  Note how the real solutions are from users.  Lazy.

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@RRJ

Thanks for the post.

As previously stated in this thread, many channels on Roku are developed and maintained by the channel provider themselves. For more information about that channel's features and functionality, you'll want to contact the channel provider support directly to inquire further. 

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
deb_ack
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

I could not load episode 6 of Black Bird.  I have tried everything found at Google about this problem, and then I changed the Roku Display settings from 1080p to Auto Detect.  The episode then loaded with no problem.  

I should mention that I had started this episode on another Vizio TV with Roku in another room, and then was able to open episode 6 at the point where it was at on the other TV.  I'm not sure which of these actions fixed the problem.

Updated post:  Please see my next post, stating that these solutions did not work the next time I had this problem.

0 Kudos
deb_ack
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

After I thought I had fixed the problem, I tried to open (on the living room TV) episode one of another TV show on Apple TV (a show I had already watched on my bedroom TV), and it would not open, even after I had opened that episode on my bedroom TV with no problem--and played it for a few minutes.  It gave me the same error message.  So, I'm back to NOT knowing how to fix this very frustrating problem on the living room Vizio TV, which is a cheaper TV than the Vizio TV in my bedroom.  (I've never received this error message on the more expensive Vizio TV in my bedroom.)

So, these solutions might work sometimes, but they don't always work for me.

0 Kudos
GetTheTruth
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I suggest making sure that you have logged out of the apple account, power off your tv and power on again - and login to apple again.  For what its worth - I have multiple vizio tvs and spent months of problems (while I had a free subscription to Apple) with the same issue you express.  I spent a good bit of time with Apple support (not helpful) and then just started trying any options myself.  The auto detect modification worked for multiple vizio televisions, and I haven't had the problem reoccur.  Good luck.

0 Kudos