Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kromulok
Reel Rookie

Re: Apple TV App - Video Unavailable

Jump to solution

This is the fix. No idea why auto select suddenly stopped working or if it reverted back to auto select but i had to change the display setting in roku as you stated and apple tv + works again THANKS!

tintin66
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Change them to what? I'm not seeing the post to which you're referring.

0 Kudos
tintin66
Reel Rookie

Re: apple tv+ videos not available

Jump to solution

The first troubleshooting on this recommendation fixed the issue without having to change the display settings: https://appletoolbox.com/apple-tv-app-for-roku-not-working-how-to-fix/#comment-1485936

0 Kudos
Kromulok
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

You are on page 2 of the thread. If you click page 1 you will see everything. To help you, this is the setting to change:  I changed my setting from 4k HDR 60hz to 4k 60hz. I was able to play all videos after this change 

CurmudgeonBoy
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Many thanks for this tip! It worked! 

But after changing the display settings from auto to 1080, I also had to restart the Roku for the Apple TV app to quit coughing up the "video unavailable" notice.

CurmudgeonBoy
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Follow up to my previous posting. It played one half of one show and it’s back to “video unavailable” again. 

every other streaming app in the universe will play fine on Roku, but not Apple TV. What a garbage app. 

PRS1

Jump to solution

I have been having the same issue ("Video Unavailable” error) for the last 2 or 3 weeks. Apple TV playback worked fine prior to that. I have been watching the app consistently since it first launched. For my TV I was able to get it working.  I changed my video settings in my Roku from “Auto detect” to “4K 30 hz.” Normally ,Roku sees my TV as 4K HDR 30 hz.” I suspect that it has to do with the fact that Many Apple TV originals and other 4K content is in Dolby Vision rather than HDR10. Roku may not recognize Dobly Vision formatted content thus creating the video mismatch or interpretation as the data is coming through. Or, Roku when set to “auto-detect,” defaults to the video format of the source video and then tries to adjust accordingly but since it is not licensed for Dolby Vision (which as I understand it is required for that HDR format to work), then the Roku fails to display the video. I don’t have a TV capable of displaying Dolby Vision so it is possible that if I did this would not be an issue. Dolby charges a fee to equipment manufacturers for licensing it’s various audio and video formats. So manufacturers must pay a fee in order to include decoding software for their devices to decode Dolby audio and/or video. Dolby Vision is still very new and not the standard HDR video technology at this time. This ultimately seems like a Roku issue. That said, there may be some issue on the Apple side that is not to their benefit to work with Roku on at this time.

0 Kudos
JanetJ

Jump to solution

I have been on this for days! I have tried almost everything.  I was able to watch some shows on Apple TV but not  4k material.  I contacted Apple who said this was a Roku problem.  Roku is in hiding so no help there.  I saw your post and said I will try it and boom it works! Auto-detect somehow makes the content unavailable! No idea why, but thanks for the help, I can finally watch Greyhound.

0 Kudos
CurmudgeonBoy
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Happy it's working for you.

I gave up on Roku and bought a USB3 > HDMI cable to connect my laptop to the TV.  So I'm playing Apple TV on the laptop, and that's working, but a pain to set up versus just clicking on Roku.

0 Kudos
Yacheng
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I just spoke with Apple support about this issue since I have the same problem. They know nothing about this and when I referred them to this thread they were surprised that you were referring back to them. So at the end of the day we have the classic batting it back and forth between hardware and software. The app worked fine at first and suddenly it doesn't. All my other streaming services work great but suddenly Apple does not. So no help from anyone on this?