Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
krsherman
Binge Watcher

YoutubeTV Dolby 5.1 audio support

Jump to solution

This may be a question for YoutubeTV instead of this community, but has anybody heard when YoutubeTV will roll out Dolby 5.1 audio support to Roku devices? Sounds like the rollout has been troublesome. I’d like to build out the full 5.1 Roku audio setup but I likely won’t until it works your YoutubeTV. Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: YoutubeTV Dolby 5.1 audio support

Jump to solution

@krsherman

Thanks for the inquiry.

For more information about that channel's features and functionality, you'll want to contact Youtube TV support directly to inquire further. Many channels on Roku are developed and maintained by the channel provider themselves. 

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
15 REPLIES 15
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@krsherman

Thanks for the inquiry.

For more information about that channel's features and functionality, you'll want to contact Youtube TV support directly to inquire further. Many channels on Roku are developed and maintained by the channel provider themselves. 

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
phussey1
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I have seen a recent Reddit thread that says the Roku Ultra is now passing Dolby Digital+ 5.1 surround on YouTubeTV (NCAA basketball games).  I am not seeing it on my set-up.  Is anyone now getting Dolby 5.1 on YouTubeTV?

0 Kudos
Streamer317
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@phussey1                 https://support.google.com/youtubetv/answer/7067974?hl=en#zippy=

5.1 audio requirements

To get immersive sound, you’ll need:

• The YouTube TV app installed on your device.
  • A compatible TV device.
    • Samsung + LG + Vizio devices with Cobalt 20 or above
    • Traditional Chromecasts (i.e. non-Google TV Chromecasts)
  • A compatible speaker system.
  • Programs which support 5.1 audio.
0 Kudos
phussey1
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thanks Streamer317.  I was aware of the official communication.  The Reddit thread seemed to suggest that had changed.  For what it's worth here is the thread link.  Certainly not everyone is getting it - if anyone is getting it!

https://www.reddit.com/r/youtubetv/comments/tn8iap/getting_51_on_roku_ultra_anyone_else/  

0 Kudos
Streamer317
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@phussey1  Don't believe anything till it is officially announced by Google. They are also working on a new guide and PIP. 

0 Kudos
krsherman
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I don’t have it yet, but I have the same tv mentioned in that Reddit post, so maybe things are finally rolling out. I’ll keep an eye on app updates. Thanks for sharing. I’ll post if I see it start working for me

0 Kudos
Streamer317
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

"YouTube TV is being pretty vague about what devices work with Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound. Noting that “The list of supported devices is not yet available”. But you can find out if your device supports it by going to “stats for nerds” from the player controls menu. If it is playing in Dolby Digital 5.1, you’ll see ac-3 (381) as audio codec."

0 Kudos
phussey1
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Yep, that 381 codec is the first thing I looked for.  I have the latest Ultra and that codec was not being used.  Hoping that perhaps Roku is testing with selected users, but who knows.  Perhaps it is all a false alarm.

0 Kudos
Streamer317
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Roku wouldn’t be testing anything. This is all on Google. When they push out an update for the YouTube TV channel then it might be enabled. 

0 Kudos