Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Samw1
Reel Rookie

Youtube live stream doesn't work and just spins

Normal Youtube works fine but if the video is being livestreamed, it just spins.   This use to work about a month ago but stopped about 2 weeks ago.  I've tried uninstalling the Youtube channel without success.   This is on a 3930X

23 REPLIES 23
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Youtube live stream doesn't work and just spins

After removing a channel, best practice is to restart your Roku to clear its memory before reinstalling the channel. Did you do this? Without the restart you may not get a clean reinstall.

Depending on your Roku model and Roku version number you'll find the System restart option under either Settings > System > Power or under Settings > System.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
Samw1
Reel Rookie

Hello, yes, unfortunately I did a system restart before the re-install and that didn't help.

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Samw1

Thanks for the post.

Can you please provide us the following information:
-Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

Once we have this information, we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Samw1
Reel Rookie

Thanks for the next steps.  Unfortunately, when I hit home 5 times (or even just once), Roku stops spinning and goes to the Roku home.  

My Roku is:

Model 3930XCA

Serial number:  X00400856H5G

Device ID: S01431556H5G

Software version: 10.5.0 build 4208-AE

This is occurring on the channel "YouTube" Version 2.21, build 94005088.   It occurs randomly on different live streams within YouTube.  This morning this live stream just spins:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JsukEu2pc4  (Port Miami Webcam - Live streaming from PTZtv).  

Steps to reproduce:

1. Go to YouTube channel
  2. Search for "Port Miami Webcam - Live streaming from PTZtv"
  3. Select & play that video/live stream
  4. Roku just shows spinning

Thanks!

Sam

I am having the exact same issue. Nothing seems to make it work. It is completely random. Can't watch live streams on YouTube. This is very frustrating. I am considering buying a different device.

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@fernandofig91

Thanks for the post.

Try removing the channel from the Roku home screen by navigating to the channel tile, pressing the * key on your remote and choosing 'Remove channel'. Then restart your device from Settings>System>System restart. Once your player starts up again, add the channel back once more. 

Does this clear up the issue you are seeing? Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos

I'm having the same problem. I've uninstalled channel. Restarted the device. Reinstalled the channel. Still  not able to watch live streams.

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Shantell314

Thanks for the post.

For more information about that channel's features and functionality, you'll want to contact the channel provider support directly to inquire further. Many channels on Roku are developed and maintained by the channel provider themselves. 

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
GoodGuy5000HD
Reel Rookie

Same problem here for at least a year: Express +, YouTube subscriber... Live streams have a 50% chance of not working for at least the 30 minutes I've tried until giving up... just a spinning circle. The same live stream plays instantly on a nearby PC or phone app.

Roku will blame Google, and Google will blame Roku, and neither really care.