Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tonya_G
Roku Guru

Re: Youtube: This channel did not launch please try again later.

Jump to solution

Model  4660X - Roku Ultra

Software Ver: 10.5.0 build 4201-46

YouTube:

Version 2.21 build 94005088

There you go!!! Thanks!!!

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@Tonya_G 

I have this 4660x with same 10.5 OS build numbers and Youtube Channel build numbers and am not experiencing the issue you are describing.  I do not have an SD card installed as you do though, so it may be a memory issue or an SD card issue as referenced by @DBDukes.  Kind of reinforced by you having to Restart the Roku Ultra in order for it to load the Youtube Channel again since the Restart will clear the device's cache. (similar to rebooting your computer).

I currently have 45 Channels installed, so if may be a matter that you just have too many Channels installed if needing to use an extra SD card for additional storage.  Since you mentioned you have close to 400 Channels installed, I think this is your underlying issue.  Again, using a computer as an example, if you fill up a harddrive completely with files, you really leave no room for the OS to perform functions (swap files, temp. creation, etc) and solely rely on RAM performance.  As such, this is probably not something Roku can address as it does not appear to be related to the 10.5 OS and Youtube per-se, as it is working on my Roku 4660x with similar specs.

If you were to factory reset your 4660x and downsize your Channel installation, I would anticipate that you would find your issue resolved.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

DBDukes

Jump to solution

@AvsGunnar wrote:

If you were to factory reset your 4660x and downsize your Channel installation, I would anticipate that you would find your issue resolved.

Let me offer this one change to your suggestion. Downsize first. A factory reset will clear the device, but the apps are still on the account. When the Roku is set up again on the account, it will start downloading apps. Removing unused apps first would probably resolve the issue without a factory reset.

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

Tonya_G
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I don't think it would work. I use to have over 500 channels and never had the issue with the YouTube channel. This just started after the 10.5 update. It has to be something else. I'm thinking that maybe the YouTube channel now has trouble working with my Kinivo HDMI Switch and my old Sharp TV from 2008 that only has up to 720p and 1080i resolution because of the 10.5 Roku update. It's ONLY the YouTube channel - No other channels are doing this - Other channels have No Trouble AT ALL launching. I have only 2 HDMI connections on my TV - I have my Kinivo HDMI switch connected to one and my Chromecast connected to the other. I have it set up this way because, with the Chromecast connected to the Kinivo HDMI switch, it was constantly switching away to my Chromecast every time my Chromecast would update or restart. So, I don't want to plug my Roku into the same HDMI connection as the Chromecast on the back of my TV to see if that would fix this issue. I like to only have my Roku and my FireTV cube connected to my Kinivo HDMI switch.

I just don't want to go through the trouble of uninstalling various, rarely used channels and Factory resetting my Roku. I would have to write down all the channels I uninstalled in case I found out that all this doesn't resolve the issue. I just don't have the patience for it right now. I'd rather just use my Fire TV Cube or Chromecast right now to watch YouTube on my TV.

I purchased my Roku Ultra in 2018 and since then (3 Years), the YouTube channel has never had any problems until now.

But, Thanks anyway. I'll consider Factory Resetting and uninstalling rarely used apps some other time. I don't know when I'll ever feel up to that. 

I can still just restart my Roku any time I just want to stay on my Roku and watch YouTube. I do like my Roku better than my FireTV Cube and Chromecast for most things. I would prefer to use my Roku most of the time. My FireTV Cube has been unplugged for a month now.

0 Kudos
DBDukes

Jump to solution

@Tonya_G 

That mentioning of the switch does change things. That makes your setup quite different than mine.

You could power down the Roku and the Chromecast, plug the Roku into the Chromecast HDMI port, and see if that resolves it. If it does, then yes, it's the switch.

Note that I am not suggesting that as a solution, just as a test to find the cause of the problem. Put things back when you're done. That's something I can't test, because you have an additional component I don't have.

So, if you want to determine if the switch contributes to the issue, plug the Roku into the Chromecast port, or unplug the switch and plug the Roku directly into that HDMI port.

I really don't think it'll make a difference, but it might. The only way to find out is in your control.

DBDukes

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@Tonya_G 

I would also agree with @DBDukes on this one regarding the HDMI switch as a possible culprit that has to be eliminated as a cause in your troubleshooting.  A lot of times a switch will cause a loss in connection between source and client. (basically loss of video signal or HDCP recognition is normal issue).  Again, a restart of the device will re-initiate the connection.

I would follow the advice of @DBDukes and try plugging the Roku HDMI directly into your TV HDMI port and repeat all those things you mentioned previously (launch youtube, exit, watch something else, re-launch youtube, etc.).  If you do not receive any errors, then at least you have narrowed down issue as attributed to use of switch in the setup.

Sometimes, it is just inherent in using a HDMI switch (regardless of $15 switch or a $1500 A/V switch).  

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

Tonya_G
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Thank you for the help. But, I decided to perform a factory reset and I am no longer having the issue with YouTube not launching. I wish just uninstalling and reinstalling YouTube could have fixed it, but I guess after 3 years of use, my Roku Ultra has just got corrupted amyway just like Windows Operating Systems do, which I've had to deal with also for me and people in my family who need their computers/laptops factory reset.

I do though wish Roku would fix it to where, when you do a factory reset, your channels will stay on the Home Screen where you had them before. It's so hard to move them back to exactly where you had them or want them. I like all my frequently used channels to be at the beginning and ending of all the rows of channels. Well, I have to move all my frequently used channels to the beginning and end which takes at least 30 minutes and my hand gets in a cramp! It's a workout!!! Then, I have to move them in the exact positions I want, and that's hard to do, because when I move one channel, then a bunch of others move around when I move just one channel!!! Its like working a Rubic's Cube!!! I feel like I am playing some type of game when trying to move the channels back to where I want them. It's like I'm trying to solve some type of puzzle!!! 😳😨😬😂

0 Kudos
Tonya_G
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Thanks for your help (DBDukes and AvsGunnar) !!! I performed a factory reset and I am no longer having the launching problem with YouTube. I didn't have to remove channels for it to work though and I haven't put my MicroSD card back in yet. How would I go about doing that without messing anything up? Do I just unplug my Roku and reinsert the MicroSD card and then power it back up? Do I need to reformat the MicroSD card in my laptop before I reinsert it back into my Roku?

DBDukes

Jump to solution

@Tonya_G 

You may need to power down to remove the HDMI cord to reach the microSD card slot. It won't hurt anything. Powering down and back up isn't really all that different from a restart (a little, but not much). And your Roku restarts every time Roku sends out an OS update, so you've had plenty of those over the years.

I would consider reformatting the card. If there is any issue with it, a format might resolve that. It may not be necessary though. One thing: Roku will only use 2 GB of the card, regardless of the card capacity. Roku hardware may be able to read the larger formats, but the software only uses 2 GB, so if you ever replace it, go small. The closer to 2 GB you get with one of those cards, the less likely you'll have trouble.

The cards are only used for on-board storage of apps. All it does is keep the Roku from having to re-download the app to use it. Roku stores all the apps on your account in "the cloud" and your device will re-download as necessary. The most recently used ones are on local storage (the onboard storage, to include a microSD card). If launching a new app means it has to download it, Roku will dump the oldest (longest since you launched it) apps until it has enough room for the new one you launched. You'll be able to tell when it needs to swap out apps, because the app takes a few seconds to launch, often with a percentage counter displaying the progress of the download of the app from their servers to your Roku device.

For people that only use a smaller number of apps (the number depends on the size of the apps, of course), their entire catalog may fit on the card. With your large number, I'm not sure how full your card is. While you have it out, you may want to check that, keeping in mind that Roku only reads 2 GB of the card.

Anyway, glad you got it working. And yeah, the menu management (or lack of) by Roku isn't great by any means. Apple TV would be a good guide for them on this. Those can be configured to all be the same (there's a switch settings). Moving an app on one moves it on the others. I would like that feature.

DBDukes

Jump to solution

We are having the same issue.

Since the 10.5 update , Youtube will not launch .

Only youtube and only on the ultra with the volume muting .

The other ultra is just fine .

Very strange , very frustrating .

Roku's link to Youtube issues is dead , also very frustrating .

We watch Youtube a lot .

Roku needs to fix this .

0 Kudos