Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Red_Rooster
Channel Surfer

YouTube app now cuts off video date of publication

Jump to solution

Recently the YouTube app changed their UI a bit. Now, when you are watching a video, if you press the ‘Up’ button on your Roku remote to see the basic video details, it now cuts off the video date so that you can’t see it.

Example:

Cool Youtube Video Title!

RokuYoutube channel * 5…

The “5…” is the video’s date. Please fix!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: YouTube app now cuts off video date of publication

Jump to solution

@Red_Rooster 

Same app specs and device specs as you indicated in your posting.  My 4660x is connected to a Mitsubishi.

Maybe try the Uninstall, System Restart, Reinstall procedure for the Youtube channel/app and see if that resolves it.  (just make sure to do the three steps in that order).

YT_appspecsUltra.png

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
Cobranut
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I came here for this exact reason.
It's EXTREMELY FRUSTRATING that you can no longer see the published date.
That was a major way I chose what to watch.
PLEASE FIX THIS ISSUE ASAP!

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@Red_Rooster and @Cobranut 

Not seeing this behavior on app version web_20220919_10RC00 on my Roku devices. (From within the Youtube channel/app, can see your App version from within Settings, all the way at bottom).

0 Kudos
Red_Rooster
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Yes I’m on the same version but the behavior is definitely there. See screenshot taken 5 minutes ago:

https://imgur.com/a/94qEoA6 

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@Red_Rooster 

Seeing the publish date on both my Ultra 4660 and my RokuTV.  Comes up when using both the Pause button or the Up/Down arrow button. (normal behavior).  Wonder if perhaps the update is device specific if you are getting different behavior.

Looks like your info is also displayed lower on your screen than mine.  (And I see how instead of Published, yours says Pu...)

YT_publishdate.png

0 Kudos
Red_Rooster
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

@AvsGunnar Yeah the top-left is the location my info used to be displayed until yesterday when this issue arose. Now it’s been moved to the lower-left just above the recommended videos. Are you on the same app version as me? (web_20220919_10_RC00)

I’m watching on an LG TV, not a RokuTV. I just checked the YouTube app bundled with the TV and opened up the same Jimmy Fallon video as in the screenshots. It’s the same app version as the Roku but the video info correctly displays the publication date and is located in the upper-left.

To me that makes it pretty definitively a Roku-specific thing, but I’m also using a Roku 4660X Ultra. Maybe we have different versions of the Ultra? In the YouTube app>Settings>App version menu it denotes my Device as:

TV (PLATFORM_DETAIL_OTT), Roku/4660X/MC2/2017, Cobalt (22.lts.5.308272-gold), Roku (8.8)

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@Red_Rooster 

Same app specs and device specs as you indicated in your posting.  My 4660x is connected to a Mitsubishi.

Maybe try the Uninstall, System Restart, Reinstall procedure for the Youtube channel/app and see if that resolves it.  (just make sure to do the three steps in that order).

YT_appspecsUltra.png

Red_Rooster
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

@AvsGunnar 

Thanks for the idea! I had tried restarting the Roku but not uninstalling the app. After doing that the issue appears to be solved. I’ve checked a few videos, including the same Jimmy Fallon one, and the info is back up on the top-left and showing the publish date fully. Hopefully the fix sticks!

makaiguy

Jump to solution

@Red_Rooster-

Put that Remove/Restart/Reinstall routine into your bag of tricks.  It is the first thing to try when problems crop up with a particular channel app.

This may not fix the problem in all cases, but it at least assures you that you have a new complete copy of the currently releases version of the app.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
Red_Rooster
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Well it seems like they're doing it intentionally now, because the behavior is back and is clearly intended. You can now select the video information to bring up more info, which of course...doesn't include the publication date. I'm guessing that my Roku was part of some A/B test earlier that has now been implemented.

Except for the home screen it is impossible to get video publication information if it is being cut off like that. For instance, if I wanted to scroll through those recommended videos at the bottom, they do not display their date, so there is no way to know if a video is new or years old.

Is there a place to submit feedback to Google about this?

IMG-1599.jpg

Tags (1)
0 Kudos