Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SgtBilby
Reel Rookie

YouTube app lag - FIX IT NOW!

I noticed the YouTube app on the Roku has been acting really derpy lately on the Roku 3
It doesn't work or load properly and it only loads when i force it on the remote
Could you PLEASE fix this PRONTO!

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: YouTube app lag - FIX IT NOW!

You have to take that up with channel provider, Google. They maintain the channel not Roku. 

I pay my $65 to them and works perfectly fine on newer Roku models. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
fluke
Roku Guru

I believe YouTube became a bloated mess when Google merged the YouTube app with the YouTube TV app.

The Roku 3 model 4230X is from 2015 and functions with half a gig of RAM.  For the majority of Roku apps this still remains fine.

The Roku Express 4K+ (3941) has double the RAM at 1 gig and the Roku Ultra (4670) has four times the RAM at 2 gig.  If responsiveness of the YouTube app is critical then I recommend upgrading.  I expect the cost of these devices might be slightly discounted during the month of November.

It is up to Alphabet/Google/YouTube if their app for Roku remains responsive on older models and that industry gorilla does not seem to care about us.

The YouTube app does have a "Send feedback" option which links to here:
https://www.youtube.com/tv/feedback 

Maybe filling out that form will help.  I have my doubts.  The closest thing that YouTube has to a competitor at this point is Nebula (which also has a Roku app) but that costs $5 per month to access.  There is little incentive for YouTube to play nice when they largely have a monopoly position in this type of service.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Google has a history of making their apps/channels work poorly on older Rokus. It was the first channel that ever gave me problems with my old Roku 2 XS, and was the reason I finally upgraded the player. I still have it, but it's in a drawer and no longer used. There's nothing Roku can do to make it better. And Google isn't going to care about a device that is now 7-9 years old (depending on which version of Roku 3 you have). Remember, Google sells a competing device, so they'll gladly sell you a Chromecast to improve your YouTube experience. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos