Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Danh1265

Re: YouTube ads

I notice when I watch youtube on my laptop I get far less commercials than when I watch it on my Roku. Why is that ? This leads me to believe it's a Roku issue not youtube but I can't be certain. These ads are real obnoxious. Sometimes I'm watching something and whatever it is is about climax and BOOM, friggin commercial. What business in their right mind wants their product advertised in such a way ? I can assure you I will not buy any of these products. 

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@Danh1265 wrote:

I notice when I watch youtube on my laptop I get far less commercials than when I watch it on my Roku. Why is that ? This leads me to believe it's a Roku issue not youtube but I can't be certain. These ads are real obnoxious. Sometimes I'm watching something and whatever it is is about climax and BOOM, friggin commercial. What business in their right mind wants their product advertised in such a way ? I can assure you I will not buy any of these products. 

Roku does not control the ads shown within YouTube. Google has total control over that. For whatever reason, they alter the amount of ads on different platforms. I can say that I see a tremendous number of ads on my Shield as well, and that's an Android device.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Harescramblerac
Reel Rookie

Bull **bleep**  I get the ads Roku has on their home screen when pausing YouTube. I pay for YouTube ad free  I don't get any of the ads using onn streaming device or my phone. Just on Roku devices. 

0 Kudos
atc98092

@Harescramblerac are you referring to ads that appear within a screensaver that kicks in while your YouTube playback is paused? Yes, Roku might control that. If you don't want to see ads, then change your screensaver. I've never seen an ad ever if the SS kicks in with YouTube opens. I use the 4K aquatic screensaver, which has no ads.

You're paying for no ads while YouTube videos are playing. If that happens, then your argument is with Google. If it's something appearing with your selected screensaver, then either disable your SS or use a different one. I have never seen an ad within any channel I have open that isn't controlled by the channel provider. Roku does not insert ads while a channel is in use. 

Dan

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@Harescramblerac wrote:

Bull **bleep**  I get the ads Roku has on their home screen when pausing YouTube. I pay for YouTube ad free  I don't get any of the ads using onn streaming device or my phone. Just on Roku devices. 

Are you logged in to YouTube on your Roku? Because if you aren't, Google (who owns YouTube) doesn't know that you are a YouTube Premium subscriber and will send ads. Check that you're logged in.

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
Harescramblerac
Reel Rookie

I'm not which part of my comment you have trouble understanding. I know exactly where the ad is coming from. I tracked it. I install ISP networks. This ad is not coming up on anything but Roku devices. None of the other brands of streamers are showing them. I get no ads on ONN UHD streamer. I get no ads on my phone. I get no ads on Chromecast. If you plug another streamer in a Roku smart tv, it will even tell you Roku is going to run ads while you have it connected. I'm pretty sure this is illegal. I'm checking up on it.

0 Kudos
Harescramblerac
Reel Rookie

What it amounts to is they are targeting children with these liberal ads that says transsexual and gay is okay and parents are powerless to block or hide the ad. This is not right and we are sending Roku legal paperwork demanding the cease and desist or we are going to sue them. 

0 Kudos
atc98092

All I'm saying is that I use YouTube on almost a daily basis. I do not subscribe to YouTube in any way, other than the fact I have a GMail account and use it to log into YT to see my subscribed channels and to provide me with better recommended videos. I have never seen any ad appear on a Roku device that wasn't either a) within the channel I was watching or b) on the Roku home page. In close to ten years of use I've never seen any such commercial as you describe. I'm pretty conservative, and likely wouldn't care for such ads myself. But I've simply never seen any such ads at any time. 

The only thing you're going to accomplish is putting money in an law-yer's pocket. 

Dan

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@Harescramblerac wrote:

I'm not which part of my comment you have trouble understanding. I know exactly where the ad is coming from. I tracked it. I install ISP networks. This ad is not coming up on anything but Roku devices. None of the other brands of streamers are showing them. I get no ads on ONN UHD streamer. I get no ads on my phone. I get no ads on Chromecast. If you plug another streamer in a Roku smart tv, it will even tell you Roku is going to run ads while you have it connected. I'm pretty sure this is illegal. I'm checking up on it.

I'm a YouTube Premium subscriber. I don't get ads on YouTube on Roku. Because I'm signed in. I asked if you were signed in, and you never answered the question. So, I'm asking again: are you logged in to YouTube on the Roku app? If not, log in with your YouTube Premium account and see if the ads continue.

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
donvm

Re: YouTube ads with paid Youtube Premium on Roku vs Firestick

I bought Youtube Premium to take-out the ads, but it doesn't with Roku, but it does with Firestick??

0 Kudos