Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MikeyInSoCal
Binge Watcher

Re: YouTube TV playback issues

I started having problems with YT TV recording playback a couple of days ago, but only on one Roku device--a Roku Express (3930X).

Everything works properly on the Roku Ultra in the house (SW version 11.0.0, build 4180-46). It has YT TV app version 2.22 build 105005546.

The Roku Express is running SW version  10.5.0 build 4208-AE, with YT TV app version 2.21 build 94005576.

My attempts to get the Roku Express to update to the newer software version and update the YT TV app keep getting "All software is up to date." According to the page Roku® OS software release notes, my device should be able to run SW version 11.0.0.

Any ideas on how to get the Roku Express updated so it can play YT TV recordings? ...thanks!

0 Kudos
Ello2022
Roku Guru

@MikeyInSoCal  YouTube TV like all live tv streaming services store recordings in the cloud. The device you use to watch those recordings is irrelevant. I have been using YouTube TV for years. All 10 of my Roku devices are running Roku OS 10.5 and no issues with YouTube TV DVR playback. Most shows or movies that can be recorded are also available on demand. You cannot force your Roku to update to Roku OS 11. It will take several months before all the Rokus across the world will be running Roku IS 11. Try unplugging your Roku for approximately 10 minutes. See what happens 

Is this only on one recording or all? Show? Movie? Sports? What network?

0 Kudos
jed2
Streaming Star

There have been multiple issues with Roku Devices and software updates this week, but sounds like it's been happening before now. Just so you know. Keep bugging Roku.

Different users on this thread seem to be copying and pasting the same answers over and over, like bots.

MikeyInSoCal
Binge Watcher

@Ello2022, yes, I'm very familiar with how streaming services and their various "recording" features work.

The issue happens whenever I try to watch the most recent episode of a recorded show in my library. It doesn't matter whether I'm trying to watch a show recorded previously or one that's in progress. I can watch the VOD version, if available, with no issue.

This issue started two days ago, and only affects the Roku Express. I have no issues whatsoever with the Roku Ultra. I also have no problems with my Chromecast with Google TV, using a web browser on a device, or using the YT TV app on my Android phone or iPad.

I'm only recording shows on the networks (ABC, CBS, NBC, etc.), but it's happening on all of them.

MikeyInSoCal
Binge Watcher

Thanks, @jed2. Other than continuing to try to update through the device, is there another way to get Roku to make the update? ...thanks!

0 Kudos
jed2
Streaming Star

I hope they're working on it.

For the problem that myself and others are experiencing (no channels running at all -- and the newest system update wasn't installing) I noticed a new update was available today, and I was able to install it. Unfortunately this still didn't solve the problem.  

MikeyInSoCal
Binge Watcher

Thanks, @jed2. I'll keep banging on it.

Ello2022
Roku Guru

@MikeyInSoCal  Roku does not control how the YouTube TV channel works. Google does. If it was a Roku issue then live tv, VOD and recordings would have problems. This isn’t the case. Your Ultra is dual band with faster hardware. It’s also most likely on the 5.0 GHz WiFi which is also faster. The Express (Base model) is slower hardware and is only works on the 2.4 GHz. Which means it’s slower. Run a check connection test on both your Roku devices. What are the results in Mbps. Are both equally distant away from the router? Your recordings are stored in the cloud therefore it has nothing to do with Roku. You have an issue with certain parts of a channel that channel being YouTube TV. Roku’s does not have control of what happens inside any channel. never mind they do not have any control of how cloud recordings playback. That’s a Google server issue. I have zero issues with YouTube playback recordings across all 10 of my Roku devices

FYI @jed2  only joined to go from post to post bashing Roku.

0 Kudos
Cd1515
Binge Watcher

Then why is YouTube TV telling me it’s a roku issue?

0 Kudos
jed2
Streaming Star

I'm letting users know that there are multiple issues with the new OS update. I haven't been able to use my TV for a week.

Pretending that there aren't issues with Roku is lying to other users. I would suggest you read some other threads.

Tags (1)