Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
peacefulkancer
Binge Watcher

Re: YouTube TV app freezing after latest OS update

Jump to solution

@tmills843 wrote:

Old issue

These days — you need the YouTube App on your Rocky Devices. Once you have the App, the menu on the left side of the screen has an option at the bottom of the menu to “Watch YouTube TV”. Follow the prompts and sign in using your YouTube TV credentials. 

it’s a real pain, but it’s the option we’re having to live with theses days.

Not sure about everyone else but Roku added YTTV app back and I was able to re-dowload.

I had deleted it initially and the app was NOT available. So it was definitely re-added due to this. Not sure for how long.

DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@peacefulkancer 

Not necessarily.

There are some circumstances under which some accounts can delete and then re-add YouTube TV to their Roku devices. I'm not certain of all of the details that allow this, but I can confirm that I have personally seen this on at least one user's account.

I suspect, but don't know for certain, that the app is still (and has been) in the Channel Store, in anticipation of its return, but certain blocks have been in place during the Google-Roku dispute. Whether the blocks have a loophole for some accounts, I can't say. But until you can see YouTube TV at https://channelstore.roku.com then call it "not available.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
peacefulkancer
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

@DBDukes wrote:

@peacefulkancer 

Not necessarily.

There are some circumstances under which some accounts can delete and then re-add YouTube TV to their Roku devices. I'm not certain of all of the details that allow this, but I can confirm that I have personally seen this on at least one user's account.

I suspect, but don't know for certain, that the app is still (and has been) in the Channel Store, in anticipation of its return, but certain blocks have been in place during the Google-Roku dispute. Whether the blocks have a loophole for some accounts, I can't say. But until you can see YouTube TV at https://channelstore.roku.com then call it "not available.

I'm not sure what you mean.

I deleted YTTV. I immediately went to re-dowload and it was not available.

Then two days later I looked again and it was available.

So for me it was added back. And all I'm saying is that maybe it was added back for others so go try it.

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@peacefulkancer 

What I mean is that some users never lost it from the store. That tells me Roku didn't pull it, but rather put restrictions on it.

I'm not doubting that you deleted YouTube TV, and that you were able to add it back. I've seen that myself during the dispute. What I'm saying is that the app has not been "added back to the store" (actually, I'm saying all restrictions have not been removed). The app still doesn't show at https://channelstore.roku.com

I don't disagree with attempting to re-add YouTube TV. But I am saying don't remove it and try to reinstall it. Don't remove the app just to see. Disappointment may be there. Something in your situation isn't preventing you from getting it back. But it is preventing most  (I'm going to say close to 100%, or others would have seen what you and I have seen).

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

As of 12/8/2021 the youtube app menu system will go black for a few seconds and then return. If I don't pick a video promptly then it will go black again. BTW, Have you ever tried to report a problem to ROKU? Not an email address in sight, just the FAQs which may or may not help.

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @michael_h_richa,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

We recommend starting here to troubleshoot channel issues: Follow these steps in order:
1. Navigate to the channel tile on the Roku home screen, press the * key on your remote, and choose 'Remove channel'.
2. Next, restart your device from Settings>System>System restart. (For Roku TV Settings>System>Power>System restart)
3. Once your player/TV starts up again, go to 'Streaming Channels' on the Home screen, and add the channel back once more.
You may also refer to this link: How to resolve a channel playback issue | Official Roku Support
If that still doesn't clear up the issue you're experiencing, we recommend contacting the channel provider directly to follow up for more help. They’ll be able to best assist with any issues that are occurring within their channel.

You can reach them here: Youtube support

Please keep us posted on what you find out.

Best regards,
Mary

0 Kudos
Troylbc

Jump to solution

December 11, I am currently experiencing freezing during commercials in the middle of whatever I am watching. It just stops dead black screen. The only way to resolve is changing channels and switching back after a minute.

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Hi @Troylbc

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Could you provide us with the name of the channels where you are experiencing the issue? Please also fill out the following information below so we can isolate the cause of the problem:

-Roku device model
-Serial number
-Device ID
-Software OS/version
(these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-Does this issue occur on a specific channel? If so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found by selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-Tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
-Steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

With more information, we will be able to assist you further.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
TF5083
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Same issue here.... multiple channels affected. App freezes on commercials.  Have to restart the app. 

This is getting old.  ROKU when are you going to fix this?

Time for a firestick?

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@TF5083

We do apologize for the inconvenience this has caused.

Please reply here with the information asked for in my post above. We'll be able to assist you from there. 

We look forward to hearing from you soon.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos