Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Re: YouTube TV App causing Roku to Spontaneously Reboot

Jump to solution

@mgkunkel wrote:

Can I get Fox Sports added to my Roku account? Using Youtube and they don't carry it.

Strange place to ask the question (buried in a thread about YT TV issues).

YouTube TV (the OTT TV service) does carry FoxSports, so you'd need to subscribe to that to get it.

You can always install the FoxSports/FoxNow app(s), and use the 60 minutes of free-preview time repeatedly if you arent willing to subscribe.

0 Kudos
MikeSanDiego
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Reporting back in. Same issues today so back at square one. I could try purchasing a new Roku Ultra if Roku would refund my existing. Otherwise I might try another model or make. I do have 3 Roku streaming sticks all working well with no hiccups.

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

So again, what exactly is the issue you are experiencing with YT, other than your response to it (restart the Roku)?

0 Kudos
MikeSanDiego
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Everytime I power on roku, go to YT TV, select a channel to play, it will spin forever on a black screen or sometimes say error, try again. Only way to resolve is if I do a roku system: system restart.

same issue (spin, error on playback) with Netflix we observed. Never an issue with Disney+, Prime, ESPN, Showtime and there were a couple others we tried which worked as expected. 

Internet speed is blazing fast at 300mpbs. All network checks on roku pass. Device is wired as right next to router. 

0 Kudos
TWDay
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

We're having the same problem with our Roku unit. It seizes the unit every few minutes, every time resulting in a reboot of the Roku.  My wife watches YouTube a lot and it's enough of a problem I'm about to secretly delete the app. She won't know how to reinstall it and I can just tell her it's Roku's fault that it isn't available any more. 😉

Roku Express with the most current firmware.
0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@TWDay

Thanks for the post.

Have you already tried removing the channel from the Roku home screen by navigating to the channel tile, pressing the * key on your remote and choosing 'Remove channel'. Then restart your device from Settings>System>System restart. Once your player starts up again, add the channel back once more, specifically in that order. 

In addition, how are you powering the Roku device? Is the device plugged into the TV USB port or is it plugged into a wall outlet?

Please keep us posted what you find out and we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
TWDay
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I just tried the "remove and restart and reinstall" tactic and almost immediately YouTube seized and rebooted the Roku unit. It is being powered by the monitor's USB port. No other app causes this problem, for what that is worth. My wife regularly watches Hulu, Netflix, the Roku Channel, and several others and I have taken several Great Courses via Kanopy without ever experiencing this problem.

0 Kudos
RokuLianna
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi  @TWDay

Thanks for keeping in touch!

Many channels on Roku are maintained by the channel provider themselves. Since the error only occurs on the Youtube TV channel, that's an indication that there's likely an issue within that specific channel that needs to be addressed with an update from them. We indeed recommend contacting Youtube TV Support to report the issue and get help.

Thank you for your understanding.

Warm Regards,
Lianna

0 Kudos