Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jamesutz
Streaming Star

YouTube TV App causing Roku to Spontaneously Reboot

Jump to solution

For about the past three weeks, I've had issues with the YouTube TV app causing the Roku to spontaneously reboot when the app is started.  Even after the reboot, the Roku is not working right and a second reboot has to be issued via the menu to make it run properly.  I am primarily seeing this on two different Roku Ultras, but apparently it has also happened on a Roku 3 we have.

I see a lot of posts about YouTube issues in this forum, but I am not talking about the app that let's you watch traditional YouTube videos posted online.  I'm talking about the app for the YouTube TV subscription / paid TV service.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Re: YouTube TV App causing Roku to Spontaneously Reboot

Jump to solution

@jamesutz wrote:

Sorry - it took me a while to get back to this.  Right now they are:

Roku Ultra 4660X
9.4.0 build 4200-46
with YouTube TV Ver 1.0 build 93000067

and

Roku Ultra 4670X
9.4.0 build 4200-46

The 4660X is the one that just did this behavior last Tuesday.  But both have done it a few times over the past few weeks.  The thing I can't wrap my head around is that after the spontaneous reboot and restart, the YouTube TV app will freeze when we try it.  Knowing this now, we have to manually issue a second reboot from the menu to make the Rokus and YouTube TV to behave properly.

Thanks

Those are updated app versions from 2 days ago (Wednesday 3/10) - is the behavior still happening?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
17 REPLIES 17
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

What model # Ultras and what firmware version+build on each? (Settings/System/About)

What is the YT TV app version? (highlight and press the Options (*) button)

0 Kudos
jamesutz
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Roku Ultra 4660X
9.4.0 build 4200-46

and

Roku Ultra 4670X
9.4.0 build 4200-46

The 4660X is the one that just did this behavior last Tuesday.  But both have done it a few times over the past few weeks.  The thing I can't wrap my head around is that after the spontaneous reboot and restart, the YouTube TV app will freeze when we try it.  Knowing this now, we have to manually issue a second reboot from the menu to make the Rokus and YouTube TV to behave properly.

Thanks

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@jamesutz wrote:

Roku Ultra 4660X
9.4.0 build 4200-46

and

Roku Ultra 4670X
9.4.0 build 4200-46

Thanks

Those are updated app versions from 2 days ago (Wednesday 3/10) - is the behavior still happening?

0 Kudos
jamesutz
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Have not seen the problem since Tuesday.  Will report back here if it does happen again.

0 Kudos
MikeSanDiego
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I have been experiencing very similar issue. I have 4800x with software version 9.4.1 build 4236-C2 and YouTube TV build 93000067. I have to do a roku Setting: System: System Restart EVERY time I want to use the YouTube TV app for the last 2 weeks. No issues with Prime or Disney+. I have even done the usual app removal and even a Roku Factory Reset. Any tips?

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@MikeSanDiego wrote:

I have been experiencing very similar issue. I have 4800x with software version 9.4.1 build 4236-C2 and YouTube TV build 93000067. I have to do a roku Setting: System: System Restart EVERY time I want to use the YouTube TV app for the last 2 weeks. No issues with Prime or Disney+. I have even done the usual app removal and even a Roku Factory Reset. Any tips?

It's only somewhat similar - the OP was experiencing spontaneous reboots of the Roku when loading the YT TV app (and sometimes having to manually restart again).

You are choosing to manually restart due to some unspecified issue with the YT TV app.  It would help if you explained the actual YT TV issue.

Other than what you have already tried, and not knowing any other details of your setup (actual issue/TV/AVR/etc), you might try:

1) manually configuring your Display device (Settings/Display)

2) changing the sound output to 'Auto passthrough' (Settings/Audio/HDMI) - the 4800 defaults to 'Auto detect', which converts all output to the highest detected Dolby level

3) enabling/disabling 'Auto adjust display refresh rate' (Settings/System/Advanced system settings/Advanced display settings)

4) disabling 'HDR always on' (Settings/System/Advanced system settings/Advanced display settings) - the 4800 defaults to enabled

5) changing 'HDR subsampling' (Settings/System/Advanced system settings/Advanced display settings) - the 4800 defauls to 4:2:0

0 Kudos
mgkunkel

Jump to solution

Can I get Fox Sports added to my Roku account? Using Youtube and they don't carry it.

0 Kudos
MikeSanDiego
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thanks for the quick reply. Sounds like the issue is pretty similar. Not sure what you mean by "unspecified issue" hence the need for support. As mentioned I reset to all factory defaults so yes all the settings outlined are the defaults mentioned. As for the suggestions:

1) is the suggestion to manually set vs use the default? If so, tried with no success.

2) I will change the default to the suggestion and report back.

3) is the suggestion to disable the auto detection?

4) I will change the default by disabling and report back

5) the suggestion states to change the default, but to what?

0 Kudos
MikeSanDiego
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Update: I went through each of the 5 reccos.

1) I have adjusted this previously with no luck so I left in auto detect for now

2-5) I changed all these settings as outlined. Was straight forward once I walked through it.

I attempted to recreate the issue with no success yet. Crossing my fingers that this might have resolved it. Knock on wood.  I'll give it another day of monitoring and report back.

Much appreciated for the walk through.

0 Kudos