Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CaptFerd
Channel Surfer

Re: YouTube Commercials equivalent to Root Canals

Sorry but they have a lot to do with it. They have went into the advertising business. There is plenty of info about their involvement but you have to look really hard to find it. Moderators and less concerned forum users around here will try to convince you otherwise and pass the buck to youtube.     

Roku is bringing more targeted ads to your TV 

Today, we’re excited to announce we’ve entered an agreement to acquire Nielsen’s Advanced Video Adve... 

This happened around March 2022 and since then ads have accelerated for us that don't pay the monthly ransom. An injected scam after millions purchased their Roku product and electronic devices.

0 Kudos
OwnerofDevices
Roku Guru

Nothing in your links mention Google or YouTube. 

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@CaptFerd yes, Roku has an ad service, and has run one for years. Channel creators can make use of that service. But Google owns their own ad service, and I seriously doubt they'd use the Roku service in place of their own. Sorry, I can't see your argument as being valid for YouTube or any other channel under Google's control.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
Strega
Roku Guru

@CaptFerd 

I skimmed those links but all I see are things like:

Roku said that it wanted to let programmers “replace traditional TV ads with targeted ads in real-time.” This would allow marketers to improve their ROI.’

And

Parampath explained that this will be beneficial to both the advertisers and consumers. Not only will the advertisers be able to target specific consumers, but those same consumers will “get more relevant, targeted and timely ads.” This is how the media companies can afford to offer free, ad-supported TV services like The Roku Channel.’

No surprises there. In fact, all other things being equal: if targeted ads increase the revenue per ad, then fewer ads per minute of TV would be needed to achieve the same income.

But if you tune into Netflix, Prime, etc. – guess what?  No ads! And youtube has a thing called youtube premium which says: ‘Enjoy watching YouTube uninterrupted by ads whenever you sign in’ So it appears to me that the fundamental rule of entertainment hasn’t changed since before I was born.  That is, you can be the customer, or the advertiser can be the customer, or as in magazines, newspapers, and some low-price streaming options, it can be a mix. 

By the way, my impression after watching youtube some years ago, was that commercials got more frequent after I watched more.  On the other hand, I just watched youtube recently after a break of maybe a year or two, and ads seemed much less common and all were skippable.  Once I got the DIY info I needed, I stopped watching again under the hope/assumption, that the next time I need some, it will again treat me as a noobie that needs to be “eased into” massive advertising.  This is all just conjecture though.  I suppose if I needed to repair many things, I might try youtube premium.

atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

OK, I just ran a test using my Ultra 4800 and an Nvidia Shield Pro. Both using the latest version of the YouTube channel/app. I watched the same video on both devices, using the same TV and connected to the same network. I watched the same video on both devices. Both devices logged into my Google account, and I do not pay for YouTube Premium or any other changes to a basic no cost Google account.

Both devices started with a group of two commercials, and both offered to skip the ads after 5 seconds. Both had their first ad start at roughly 5 minutes and 10 seconds. Again, both offered to skip the ads after 5 seconds. This continued for the full video, with the next set of ads coming a little after 10 minutes.

So, no difference between platforms, either in the number of ads, the timing of the ads, or the ability to skip the ads. Roku is not inserting any ads on their devices for a channel they do not provide or offers their ad services for.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
Strega
Roku Guru

Science!

0 Kudos