Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CaptFerd
Channel Surfer

YouTube Commercials equivalent to Root Canals

Bought my first Roku stick around 10 years ago. Loved it. I love watching youtube videos, and stream from my media pc rarely using any of the other programs available. After purchasing a roku smart tv a few years ago and a few more roku boxes the commercials started infesting youtube. Starting off a few here and there till now its every single video and some you have to set through 2 quite long ones only having them pop in every few minutes throughout whatever I'm watching. Same **bleep** over and over and over again. Funny thing is I don't get any commercials on my pc. I tell my friends and family that roku is great if you want to psychologically torture someone. Bottom line is Im done. Not going to watch my tv having to have a remote imbedded in my hand trying to skip past their idiotic propaganda.

15 REPLIES 15
Ello2022
Roku Guru

Re: YouTube Commercials equivalent to Root Canals

@CaptFerd  Roku has zero control over YouTube. That’s all Google. Google has been adding more ads to videos these past years. Again this has zero to do with Roku. If your using an ad blocker on your PC it will filter ads on YouTube. I do this with uBlock Origin. A Roku cannot use an ad blocker. If you have an iPhone you will see just as many ads on your phone as on your Roku when using YouTube. If you want to eliminate ads on YouTube then you will need to upgrade to YouTube premium. When I watch YouTube on my Chromebook with the ad blocker on I get no ads. If I turn it off I get ads. This is NORMAL. Roku has zero to do with ads you see on a Google developed channel 

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

@CaptFerd 

You're directing your anger at the wrong company. That makes me wonder if you are thinking that the commercials on YouTube (a Google company with an app built by Google) are from Roku? They're not.

Google controls the app. And the commercials in the app. Google has an ad-free service that ties to the account called YouTube Premium. It's like $12/month, and you get no commercials. But you have to be logged in to YouTube. Which now makes me ask if you're logged into YouTube on your Roku?

When you start trashing Roku for the way a Google-built app works, you might want to trash Amazon Fire TV (Google-built YouTube app that works the same way), and Apple TV (Google-built YouTube app that works the same way). Oh, and Google/Android TV devices (Google-built YouTube app that works the same way).

Now, as for why you don't get them in your browser, I couldn't say without knowing more about your browser and its setup. Maybe you have a plugin that blocks the ads? Most browsers today are Chromium based, so you could check Extensions to see what might be installed.

There are reasons why you get what you get, but none of it would be because of Roku. Or Amazon, or Apple, if you had those products. It's a Google thing.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

AvsGunnar

@CaptFerd 

If I plan on watching multiple Youtube videos, I normally will watch through a laptop and then cast it to the TV.  This way either the Web browser ad-blocker or extension add-on ad blockers will block the ads.  You just have to remember to keep selecting videos from the laptop and do not use your remote to select other videos or the Youtube Channel/app coding will be activated and ads will appear.

There are ways to block Google ads through some router filtering, but cumbersome, may affect other things on your network, and you need to keep them updated by adding more ad addresses.

All the more reason to let your content creators know you want to see them on the alternative platforms of Rumble, Odysee, and Bit-Chute. (No commercials or ads - just content).

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

Strega
Roku Guru

I find youtube to be useful when I need to disassemble my dishwasher but it's not like I have to do that every year.  Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Paramount+ are a few examples of many apps that you can watch on Roku without Root Canals (commercials.) There are thousands of Roku channels so I assume there must be something tolerable for most people.

Ello2022
Roku Guru

@Strega  YouTube was great when it came out. But I’m like you. I barely watch it anymore. Maybe to learn how to fix something or watch a review. So I’ll probably watch about 3-4 YouTube videos a month. But I don’t watch them on my Roku. If it’s an important video I’ll watch it on my Chromebook if not I watch it on my phone. My Roku is for a pure entertainment. YouTube TV, Hulu, Netflix, HBO Max, Prime, Paramount+, Disney+ and more. Can’t tell you the last time I watched YouTube on my Roku

0 Kudos
atc98092

I've given up watching YouTube on any device other than my Nvidia Shield. I have sideloaded an app that blocks all ads, as well as promotions within a video. Since you can't sideload an app on Roku devices, you have to live with whatever Google pushes out at you.

Dan

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
Ello2022
Roku Guru

Everyone…………… apparently @CaptFerd has a history is posting the same thing over and over. Look at his profile and you will see. He’s been whining since August of 2021. Take this with a grain of salt 🤣

0 Kudos
CaptFerd
Channel Surfer

Hey Its now Aug of 2022 and still whining Ello2022. This is a forum for solutions take the attacks on others back to your social media not here.

What began as a 5 second commercial that you could skip has got to the point of minutes before and during youtube videos. (and no Skipping during some.) Watching it online is no comparison to Roku. Very few ads if any and never in the middle several times over and over. I hardly use Roku anymore. Its became too aggravating. If aggravation was the goal they have achieved it. It will only get worse as people keep using and accepting it.

0 Kudos
OwnerofDevices
Roku Guru

You need to tell YouTube not Roku. Here is a link to YouTube's support community. YouTube Community (google.com).

0 Kudos