Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Wrong movie playing unfriend

Jump to solution

@chinotorres1992 

This is kind of a convoluted issue.

The movie you linked to and are looking for is "Friend Request" starring Alycia Debnam-Carey. (2016) (a.k.a  "Unfriend").  I do not see this particular Friend Request (there are about 5 movies with same title) available for free on Roku.  You can however find it on the On-Demand for rent or purchase on Amazon Prime Video, Redbox, Netflix, etc. [This particular Friend Request movie is playing correctly on the above].

The movie "Unfriended"(2014) is also a similar online horror/thriller, but distinct movie from Friend Request.

You are correct though that something is wrong with the free offerings of movies titled Unfriend, Unfriended, and Friend Request.  They seem to all be going to the same "Friend Request" (2013) movie starring Anthony Michael Hall. (Regardless of watching on Roku Channel, Tubi, Plex, etc)

This happens occasionally when multiple movies have the same title.  It never gets fixed quickly and is usually because the CDN provider streaming the movie has it mislabeled.  Now sometimes a movie has 2 titles due to the origin of its release. Sometimes when released in the US, it gets a different title.  This  appears to be case with Friend Request (2016) being released internationally also as Unfriend, Kill a Friend, and Unknown Error (2017) as showing in Roku's Search.  This is why Roku is showing a description of  "Unfriend" as that of "Friend Request' (2016), but is improperly playing Friend Request (2013).

https://tvcrimesky.com/2017/09/20/friend-request-movie-not-a-true-story-but-look-at-this-case/747

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
McMurry61
Reel Rookie

Re: Wrong movie plays The Suspect

Jump to solution

This also happened to me. I wanted to watch an old Charles Bronson and Lee Marvin movie called "Death Hunt" from the 1970's. Even showed movie poster. However, a much newer movie with some younger people on a different subject came on. Has someone screwed around with uour service? Someone I know tried it in their Roku also. Same thing.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@McMurry61 

The correct Death Hunt movie (Charles Bronson) is playing on Crime and Mystery Plus and also VHS+ if you are interested.  Both of these are free channels/apps on the Roku platform.

https://channelstore.roku.com/details/8d224727326640f0e6641b7e41c75571/crime-and-mystery-plus-free-m...

https://channelstore.roku.com/details/58251d5c2ba40edde8216c5bf788c20d/vhs-plus-free-movies

----

Addressed in another thread a couple of weeks ago so still not resolved and unfortunately, like most similar issues with the wrong movie playing, will not be addressed.  When issues like this occur, you really just need to look around for other channels/apps available that hopefully are playing the correct movie.

https://community.roku.com/t5/Roku-mobile-app/Incorrect-movie-with-same-title-plays/m-p/834761

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos

Wrong movie plays when selecting Critters

Jump to solution

I clicked on the 1986 science fiction movie Critters on the Roku Channel, Tubi, and Pluto and was greeted with a documentary about undersea creatures titled Critters. 

The documentary didn't even give the title until the very end of the credits.

I have already contacted Tubi and Pluto and relayed the error.

NATO66

Jump to solution

Me too! I wanted to watch Sublet, nope wrong movie. I wanted to watch Paint, nope!, wrong movie. Roku doesn't play what is chosen to watch, it's just weird. So, myself and friends are about to give up on Roku.

0 Kudos
Mairzag9

Wrong movie plays Gloria (2014)

Jump to solution

Hello, i went to play Gloria, and its a completely different movie.

0 Kudos
Ctrap
Reel Rookie

Re: Wrong movie plays Gloria (2014)

Jump to solution

Yup.  Same thing happens if I click on Bliss! from 2016.   Some 2017 movie from the Philippines of the same name starts playing

0 Kudos
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Mairzag9,

Greetings from the Roku community, and thanks for letting us know about this content issue.

We have already forwarded this case, along with the information you've provided, to the appropriate Roku team for further review.

We would recommend checking it from time to time or getting back here for any updates.

Best regards,

Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Ctrap,

We appreciate you flagging us about this, and it seems like we need more details about it.

Could you share with us under what streaming option you're trying to access this content? Is it from Tubi, Vudu, Apple TV, etc.?

Tell us more about this so that we can provide you with the appropriate next step.

Warm regards,

Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos