Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Re: HBO Max programs suddenly won’t play

Jump to solution

Hello @Aliorum

Thanks for letting us know about the issue you're experiencing.

Does the issue only occur on contents within HBO Max or across other channels installed on your Roku device? If it's just on one channel, removing then re-installing it may help. To ensure the process is successful, make sure to restart your device before adding the channel back in. We would recommend doing this from the Settings menu by navigating to Settings System System restart > Restart.

For detailed instructions, refer to this Support link: How do I resolve channel playback issues?

Please keep us posted!

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
st1sj
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

so I followed Roku Danny's advice and contacted HBO.  HBO wants a bunch of information, and as I was gathering those information, the movies (Dune and Matrix, both over 2 hours) magically played.

my suspicion is that this is some sort of weird software bug that restricts movies over 2 hours, but who knows...

I gave it about 2 to 3 weeks and then it resolved itself on my end.  maybe HBO / Roku did some work on their end.

HanShotFirst1
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

What's strange about that is my TCL TV is the one NOT having the problem. It's the Express box in another room. That's why I thought it might be the specific hardware but if you're having problems with the TV it must be something else. It looks like they're trying to push us off to HBO but my issue spread across at least three apps.

0 Kudos
Danson9

Jump to solution

I have the exact described behavior on my Roku TCL TV and completed the listed steps in order, but the problem persists exactly the same. I also updated the TV. Anything further to try?

HanShotFirst1
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I noticed an update was performed. Hopefully that will iron out some of the problems.

0 Kudos
TanayaHill
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

any results? I can't play Hulu, HBO Max or Peacock.

Baldwinb123
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Same problem. Tcl Roku tv, other chanels work fine. Did all the updates. I select HBOMax or Hulu, it pauses, then goes back to home screen. This is clearly a Roku problem.

hukia0

Jump to solution

ME TOO! I’m having issues with these exact channels.. I have even rebooted my SmartTv and still nothing. If you ever figure it out, please do let me know!

CRK1
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I am  having the same issue. I first noticed it with HBO Max, and now have found the same issue with other channels. This appears to have started after the last Roku update. It's very frustrating to pay for content and not be able to enjoy it, please escalate this issue to resolve.

RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

Thanks for reaching out to the Roku community!

I'd be happy to take a closer look to see how we can help get you up and running.

We recommend starting here to troubleshoot channel issues: Follow these steps in order:
1. Navigate to the channel tile on the Roku home screen, press the * key on your remote, and choose 'Remove channel'.
2. Next, restart your device from Settings>System>System restart. (For Roku TV Settings>System>Power>System restart)
3. Once your player/TV starts up again, go to 'Streaming Channels' on the Home screen, and add the channel back once more.

In addition, make sure that you get the latest HBO Max channel version by checking for a channel update using your * button on the channel tile, or going to Settings for a System Update there. Then, restart your player. 
You may also refer to this link: How do I resolve channel playback issues? 

Let us know how it goes! We're hoping this will work for you.

Regards,
Mary

0 Kudos