Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Why is AccuRadio gone ? Will it be back ?

Well, you can't really blame Roku for this. If the SDK was depreciated in 2017, they've had plenty of time to rebuild their channel for Roku devices. They just put it off until their existing channel simply wouldn't work any longer. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
atc98092

@Tanny wrote:

If Roku was smart, they would code a new app for AccuRadio so they can keep it as part of their service.  

Roku does not write channels for other providers under any circumstances. It's up to the provider to determine if they want a channel for Roku devices and develop it themselves. 

Dan

0 Kudos
Tanny
Channel Surfer

@atc98092 wrote:

@Tanny wrote:

If Roku was smart, they would code a new app for AccuRadio so they can keep it as part of their service.  

Roku does not write channels for other providers under any circumstances. It's up to the provider to determine if they want a channel for Roku devices and develop it themselves. 

I said.....   "if Roku was smart...".    

If they are not smart, then they would have stubborn mule headed rules such as you reference.

The price tag for being mule headed is that the best music streaming service on the planet is no longer available on Roku, which makes a Roku box a considerably less appealing purchase.   

As example, I would have happily paid Roku $10 a month for AccuRadio, and I'm sure many others would as well.  That income stream would have soon covered the programming costs and then turned in to an ongoing stream of free money to Roku.  

But anyway, it appears Roku is not smart, so this issue is settled.  

0 Kudos
Boz
Roku Guru

@martelp wrote:

AccuRadio was the only app I used on Roku.

Have you contacted AccuRadio?  Did they give you a reason why they removed AccuRadio from the Roku Channel Store?

0 Kudos
Boz
Roku Guru

@Tanny wrote:

As example, I would have happily paid Roku $10 a month for AccuRadio, and I'm sure many others would as well.  That income stream would have soon covered the programming costs and then turned in to an ongoing stream of free money to Roku.

The problem with your example is that you might be the only one willing to pay $10/mo for AccuRadio...

atc98092

Being angry with Roku is misdirected. They don't write channels for 3rd parties simply because they can't. They don't have access to the necessary connectivity information, and it's not up to them to determine how the user interface should look and work. It's the responsibility of the provider, in this case, AccuRadio. They are the only ones that can create a working channel for Roku devices. They have to make the effort.

Dan

Strega
Roku Guru

@Tanny wrote:

I said.....   "if Roku was smart...".    

“Smart” is debatable.  Right now, Roku provides a platform and content providers build apps – and there are thousands of apps (possibly more channel/apps than Roku employees).  If Roku kept all the app writing to themselves, then everything would stay updated (presumably*) but there might be dozens of apps instead of thousands. (And if you think of Roku’s early days as a startup, it might have been quite difficult for a little company to get enough apps built for anyone to want to buy their box.)

* I said presumably above, because, for example, Microsoft has included apps in versions of windows and then dropped them from later versions of windows.

0 Kudos
AlanRooney
Reel Rookie

MyTuner only supports UK channels now.  Even if you have them as your favourites they won't play.

0 Kudos
Tanny
Channel Surfer

Ok, so give us an alternative that is better and cheaper.   

Here's what I've found so far.  We're interested primarily in mellow jazz, and the Coffee Jazz channel on Roku seems to nail this genre.  It's free, with ads, but the ads seem to be very limited.   I haven't timed them, but as example, I listened for a couple hours last night and heard only one ad, which was pretty brief.  Typical stupid annoying ad, but only 15 seconds or so, and then back to more hours of music.

AccuRadio isn't really for the person who wants to create their own custom playlists, but why would I want to bother with that when AccuRadio has something like 1,000 human created lists in every conceivable genre?   Where would you spend your $10?

Tanny
Channel Surfer

My last post was replying to this....

"The problem with your example is that you might be the only one willing to pay $10/mo for AccuRadio..."