Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Stevejv429
Channel Surfer

Why has Homescreen changed

Jump to solution

Turned on roku tv & many (at least half dozen) of my channel apps were moved on thr homescreen. 

One of my inputs was renamed.

Why?

Not the biggeaof issues, just time comsuming & annoying.  Perhaps some notification of specific apps having been updated so the user is aware there might be changes.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Why has Homescreen changed

Jump to solution

@Stevejv429 

As long as you use the same email (Roku Account) you did when you initially set up your RokuTV, (found under Settings/System/About), then all your existing channels will be installed again during the setup and activation.  You may need to login though to certain subscriptions.

The channels, subscriptions, and such are saved to your Roku account, not your Roku device.  This makes factory resets a little less painful, and linking additional Roku devices easier.

---

If the RokuTV begins to decline in both performance and function, you can also just purchase another standalone Roku device (like the Roku Streaming Stick or the Express 4k/4k+) and plug them into your RokuTV.  With this method, you basically abandon the RokuOS in your TV and will use the new player for all Roku related functions.  You then switch back to RokuTV for OTA/antenna function. 

The above is an often used method for those with very old RokuTVs where performance gets very sluggish, the network card is failing, or other hardware issues are causing problems using the integrated Roku OS.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
Stevejv429
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Additionally,  sometimes, double-clicking the *home* button does not return to Channel position 1.

& after resetting the channels, it AGAIN moved them. & not all in the same spot. I cannot understand the randomness of this 

AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@Stevejv429 

There are occassional postings in Community of Roku devices rearranging the order of channels on the Home Screen.

It could be either an internal memory issue, a software issue, or an underpowered device issue.

1. Try using the supplied power adapter and plug into wall outlet if currently using the TV USB power port for power.

2. Try Factory Resetting the device. (press and hold reset button 30+ seconds).  Make sure you have a working remote before performing this procedure.

3. Replace the device.  If under a year, should qualify for warranty replacement. (https://support.roku.com/article/208757058)

---

As for pressing Home twice, sometimes the device may "miss" a remote press input.  Pressing it a few additional times should return you to the #1 spot.  Could be as simple as needing new batteries in remote, but could simply be a quirk.

----

If the above device is an Ultra 4800 (I didn't see in any of your postings what your model Roku model was), then these devices do seem to experience this memory issue more often and device replacement is the only solution I have seen so far.

----

[EDIT]... Saw you mentioned RokuTV.  Will leave the above for those with devices.  As for the RokuTV, recent Roku OS updates have renamed the Inputs during the update process.  You can rename them back to your preferred names through Settings/TV Inputs/[Select Input]/Rename

As for the Home Screen rearranging, the only option available would be to perform the Factory Reset to see if that fixes issue.  Otherwise, will need to contact the manufacturer of the RokuTV if under warranty. (Manufacturer Support).

If out of warranty, likely will require the replacement of an internal board depending on manufacturer if factory reset does not fix issue.

Stevejv429
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thank you, the device is a TCL roku tv (55r615), not a stand alone device, so im guessing the OS update reset the input naming. Not a big issue just a "huh"? Issue.  Changed it back & no issues since.

The channel rearrangement is also odd. It does FEEL like a memory issue, as it sometimes bogs down & resets (like an older phone) might. When its reset the channels have once again randomly moved (& turns into a game of Wheres Waldo & what else has moved). Seems to happen with Netflix too; itll play for 60 seconds & then stop & return to homescreen (didnt put that in initial post, i assumed it was a Flix thing & not a roku thing) 

Double-click to home... i hear the input, just sometimes doesnt go back to 1 *shrug*. Again, not huge just wish itd make up its mind. 

If i reset, i assume all installed channel/ apps are gone too? That could take some time to reinstall (& re-login). 

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@Stevejv429 

As long as you use the same email (Roku Account) you did when you initially set up your RokuTV, (found under Settings/System/About), then all your existing channels will be installed again during the setup and activation.  You may need to login though to certain subscriptions.

The channels, subscriptions, and such are saved to your Roku account, not your Roku device.  This makes factory resets a little less painful, and linking additional Roku devices easier.

---

If the RokuTV begins to decline in both performance and function, you can also just purchase another standalone Roku device (like the Roku Streaming Stick or the Express 4k/4k+) and plug them into your RokuTV.  With this method, you basically abandon the RokuOS in your TV and will use the new player for all Roku related functions.  You then switch back to RokuTV for OTA/antenna function. 

The above is an often used method for those with very old RokuTVs where performance gets very sluggish, the network card is failing, or other hardware issues are causing problems using the integrated Roku OS.

0 Kudos
Stevejv429
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thank you.

All of that is good to know!

0 Kudos