Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Why do we have to watch commercials about pubic hair?

Hi Community users,

Thanks for posting in the Roku Community!

We appreciate you bringing this to our attention about ads on Roku devices. 

We would be more than happy to look further into this issue but will need more details. A few questions here to better understand what you're experiencing:

1. What channel are you trying to access when this ad appears on the screen?
  2. Please cite specific content title examples that you have tried to play on the Roku device.

Our Roku team would like to take a look to see if we can help here. Thank you!

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
Indianagirl1963
Reel Rookie

Commercials about pubic hair. AWFUL

Pluto TV 

3/11/23.  Noon

Beverly Hilbillies, just after the credits ran after the show. 

(The commercial is disgusting.)

Thank you for looking into the issue. 

0 Kudos
Indianagirl1963
Reel Rookie

I completely agree with you.  I would advise you to also send a stern complaint to Proctor and Gamble on their website,  which is what I did.   

I told them exactly what I thought about their advertisement. 

atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Commercials about pubic hair. AWFUL

@Indianagirl1963 Roku has zero control over the ads you see within channels like Pluto. Your complaint is with Pluto, not Roku.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Rb_InMt
Reel Rookie

Re: Commercials about pubic hair. AWFUL

Actually the commercial about vaginal suppositories was on Newsmax via ROKU, where it appears that the only commercials that air are from Roku.  The normal Newsmax commercial breaks via Roku are just the screen saying the program will continue shortly.

jhvansyckle
Reel Rookie

I’ll let you in on a little known secret: <You don’t have to watch commercials like this any longer! Switch channels, or mute the tv and read something educational for 2-1/2 minutes u til all the commercials are done. Don’t tell anyone I told you this or I’ll be in BIG trouble!> I actually DO understand your feelings about this. I feel exactly the same way every time I see one of those, “Jesus gets us,” commercials.

0 Kudos
klasekfilmfan
Channel Surfer

I just had the unfortunate experience of running into this commercial as well. It is a commercial by Venus razors for women. It features pubic hairs dancing and singing about pubic hair. Totally inappropriate by any standard and for any audience with any sensibilities. This commercial needs to go away, as I'm sure it's losing viewers every time it airs.

klasekfilmfan
Channel Surfer

That's a very naive and silly suggestion. At dinner time, while children are present, etc., It is pathetic that a general audience would be subjected to such stomach-churning material, with no warning. It's impossible to be so proactive as to avoid seeing this garbage. It needs to be addressed.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@RokuMary-F 

I was watching the Buzzr channel on Roku live TV when this commercial jumped out at me around 8;30 P.M. 

I Immediately exited the Roku channel and went to Buzzr on Tubi live channels (no ad there). 

Like most, if not all, live streams available on the Roku channel, Buzzr is also found on several other apps on the Roku, as well as on Samsung TV Plus. The commercial is inserted by Roku, not Buzzr. The only ads from Buzzr are promotions of Buzzr shows.

I can't tell you what the ad was for, because I exited the Roku channel as soon as I realized what was on. 

You can delete the advertiser, or I can delete the Roku channel. Either way works for me.

0 Kudos
Iona-D
Roku Guru

How about one last method I have used over the years I watched everything from traditional broadcasts to now streaming which uses ads to support themselves financially.

If all else fails which was suggested by myself and others above, I use the commercials & ads breaks for anything from going to the kitchen for snacks, going to the bathroom, or a simple "Tuning Out" to "Zoning Out" (Not actively paying attention directly.  Just mentally shutting down temporary.)

I am surprised people never grasp such simple Anti-Captive Audience techniques.  Very useful when getting "behaviour changing" lectures from bosses to teachers when you cannot leave physically or fight physically or verbally.  When you don't have power or control the situations.

Works every time!

0 Kudos