Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Blkft57

Why do some channels ask for my TV provider? Roku not listed

Jump to solution

Some channels ask for my TV provider.  There is a list to choose from but Roku isn't listed.  Example is "Yellowstone" on Paramount.  It let me watch the first episode of Season 3 but now wants my TV provider and Roku isn't listed.  Has anyone else experienced this and how did you resolve it?

Tags (1)
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Some channels ask for my TV provider.

Jump to solution

Roku isn't going to replace your cable company by just buying the $30 box. Roku only supplies the apps, you're going to have to have provider to turn them on. Someone has to be paid. It doesn't have to be cable or sat provider, you can subscribe to You Tube tv and then they will be the provider to turn on the app. Or Philo, or Hulu live, whichever service you pick. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Why do some channels ask for my TV provider? Roku not listed

Jump to solution

@Blkft57 

Thanks for the post.

To add additional information to what @Tivoburkee mentioned, those channels are authenticated channels. These channels will required a TV or cable provider subscription in order to access the content available on their channel. Please be aware that Roku is not a TV or cable provider, but rather simply a streaming platform that you can watch content on (hence why Roku is not on that list).

You can learn more about finding free movies and TV shows from our Support site.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Roku isn't going to replace your cable company by just buying the $30 box. Roku only supplies the apps, you're going to have to have provider to turn them on. Someone has to be paid. It doesn't have to be cable or sat provider, you can subscribe to You Tube tv and then they will be the provider to turn on the app. Or Philo, or Hulu live, whichever service you pick. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@Blkft57 

Thanks for the post.

To add additional information to what @Tivoburkee mentioned, those channels are authenticated channels. These channels will required a TV or cable provider subscription in order to access the content available on their channel. Please be aware that Roku is not a TV or cable provider, but rather simply a streaming platform that you can watch content on (hence why Roku is not on that list).

You can learn more about finding free movies and TV shows from our Support site.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
equint3896

Jump to solution

This is happening to me now. My TV provider is not listed and now I can't get past the first Episode of Yellowstone in Season 3. I don't have a problem with any of the other channels when I have to verify it.

I have Xfinity and when you click on TV PROVIDER NOT LISTED/FOUND, you click on it and nothing, it says don't worry... well yeah you can't move forward to watch any of the other episodes... 

Does anyone know how to get past this?

Thanks

C_I
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@equint3896 wrote:

This is happening to me now. My TV provider is not listed and now I can't get past the first Episode of Yellowstone in Season 3. I don't have a problem with any of the other channels when I have to verify it.

I have Xfinity and when you click on TV PROVIDER NOT LISTED/FOUND, you click on it and nothing, it says don't worry... well yeah you can't move forward to watch any of the other episodes... 

Does anyone know how to get past this?

Thanks

If that  is the case, then your cable provider has not made that channel available on Roku. To have it made available on your device from your cable provider, then contact your cable provider and ask them to make it available on Roku. For example, I tried to link the Weather Channel app on my device, but when I go to link it, my cable provider is not listed. The message says to contact your cable provider then ask them to make it available on  Roku. 

0 Kudos
Eulaih1253

Jump to solution

Hello, I have experienced this too. I have been able to watch certain episodes of Tyler Perry's "Sistas" now it was me to provide my t.v. provider. I will be stopping by my local cable/internet provider, although I don't have a cable package. If you should happen to find out how to resolve this issue, please post. Thank you.   

0 Kudos
C_I
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

You can't resolve that issue, neither can Roku.  And unfortunately, some channels are only available with a cable or satellite package.  Some channels are listed in the Channel Store as "Cable alternative" or "Watch with Cable". If the channel your program is on is listed under the "watch with cable" then, you need a cable TV package. And yes, with these channels, you can watch some programs without linking your TV package to your device, but other are unlocked only if you link your TV provider to the device.  And don't drop your Internet provider as you won't be able to watch Roku at all. 

0 Kudos
Contrast69

Jump to solution

Obviously that’s understood but those are not listed as providers either. I had the same issue for WEtv app. Hulu not listed, Sling not listed, it’s all cable or dish/directv that’s listed as providers. It will not accept the others as type ins either.

0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

For that, you should talk to WE TV.  Ie: you are running their app, which has you link to their website, which then has you link to your account on those TV providers that they are aware of and have deals and web APIs with.

Either WE TV can't be bothered to make an interface/deal with Sling or Sling can't be bothered with WE TV.  Or maybe they want to but their are some pesky deal issues that they can't agree on. 

0 Kudos
beadnnut

Jump to solution

I thoroughly enjoy my Roku TV absolutely free except for my internet bill. There are more channels than I can ever watch in my lifetime. Since I have Amazon Prime I have free access to all of their programs as well. Since I am a senior I am on a federal program that partially pays my internet bill. So for $20 a month I can pretty much watch whatever I want to.

0 Kudos