Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
travisr912
Channel Surfer

Why can't I watch ESPN Plus on non-Roku devices?

Jump to solution

I have an ESPN Plus subscription billed through Roku. It shows up under my managed subscriptions section. 

My problem is that I downloaded the ESPN Plus app on my iPad but I cannot log in to it. I never setup a username and password but it magically works with my Roku with no problems. How do I go about figuring out what the login is for it?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Why can't I watch ESPN Plus on non-Roku devices?

Jump to solution

When you subscribe to a service through a third party like Roku you typically can only view that service via that third party.  Had you subscribed via Amazon Prime, for instance, you could only view through Amazon Prime.

If you want to view on all supported devices you need to subscribe directly with that channel via their website, not through a third party.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

When you subscribe to a service through a third party like Roku you typically can only view that service via that third party.  Had you subscribed via Amazon Prime, for instance, you could only view through Amazon Prime.

If you want to view on all supported devices you need to subscribe directly with that channel via their website, not through a third party.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
Mattxxx
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

This is the “solution”? You can’t do it in other words? Looks like I won’t be using roku from here on. 

0 Kudos
Michelle3
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@Mattxxx wrote:

This is the “solution”? You can’t do it in other words?

It’s not that you can do it, it’s the fact that you would have to subscribe on all devices via the app’s website, as @makaiguy stated.  It seems that you may have a problem with all apps on your device.
 ~ Jordan

Looks like I won’t be using roku from here on. 

If you can’t use Roku just because some apps require sign-in via their website, then you’re basically out of luck.  Of course, you probably wouldn’t have used it if the aspect ratio of your device did not match your TV.  I have a Roku Express+ 3910 with analog outputs and a 4:3/16:9 setting, along with a 2007 Magnavox/Philips 4:3 analog CRT TV set, and it works great.  
~ Jordan

I’m into videotapes and old electronics stuff, including extenders, converters and analog 4:3 TV sets (which are obsolete these days), and Miss Bianca is my favorite character in Disney’s The Rescuers (1977) and its sequel, The Rescuers Down Under (1990). I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you. ~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
0 Kudos
Mattxxx
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

How is that done?

0 Kudos
Michelle3
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Go to the app’s website, sign in there, and subscribe there.
~ Jordan

I’m into videotapes and old electronics stuff, including extenders, converters and analog 4:3 TV sets (which are obsolete these days), and Miss Bianca is my favorite character in Disney’s The Rescuers (1977) and its sequel, The Rescuers Down Under (1990). I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you. ~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
0 Kudos