Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Track33
Reel Rookie

When viewing 2nd Roku on my TV, 1st Roku reverts back to Roku menu

I have 2 Roku's attached to my TV and would like to be able to switch back and forth between Roku 1 which is a 4800RW and Roku 2 which is a 4200X, both are the Ultra boxes. My problem is that when streaming 2 different programs on my Roku, when I switch to the older 4200, it retains my program whereas the 4800 reverts back to the Roku channel menu. My question is, is there a setting on my 4200 that will allow it to stay on the channel I was watching once I switch back?

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: When viewing 2nd Roku on my TV, 1st Roku reverts back to Roku menu

@Track33

Thanks for the post.

Do you know if the Bandwidth Saver feature is enabled on the device that keeps reverting to the Home screen? In addition, what channel are you leaving the device on when you stop using the device? Is it the same channel that you leave the other device on but is able to retain the program when you switch?

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Track33
Reel Rookie

Thanks for your response. I have the band width saver turned off. Almost any channel that I am watching, returns to the main menu after a few minutes, whereas on the older Roku 3000, the channels will still be there for viewing when I switch back.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

The 4200 is not an Ultra. It is an old player called the Roku 3 that was released in March, 2013, more than 9 1/2 years ago. It's still supported by Roku, and it was a pretty decent player. But it is old. 

The newer Rokus have gotten "smarter" about if a device is being used. It's actually a benefit for a player to stop streaming if it's not actually being viewed, as it would no longer be using your data. If you have a data cap on your Internet connection, you don't want a player to continue streaming when unused. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@Track33 wrote:

Thanks for your response. I have the band width saver turned off. Almost any channel that I am watching, returns to the main menu after a few minutes, whereas on the older Roku 3000, the channels will still be there for viewing when I switch back.

This time you mention a Roku 3000, which is an extremely old player called a Roku 2 HD, released July 2011. If this is the correct model number, that player is no longer supported by Roku, and I'm surprised it's working at all with the latest channels. I have a Roku 2 XS, which is nearly as old, and it's useless for any of the newer channels.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
Track33
Reel Rookie

My mistake, my Roku is actually the Roku 3 4200X, not the 3000.

0 Kudos