Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mrsjhubb10

When I edit the channels on one Roku device, it is editing them on the other two as well.

We own three Roku devices. Two of them we have had for over a year, but I just bought one for my son yesterday. He is 4 so I don't want him to have access to all the channels we have, but when I deleted the channels, it also deleted the channels from our other two devices. When I added the channels back to my daughter's device, it added them to my son's as well. Is there a way to fix this?

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Strega
Roku Guru

Re: When I edit the channels on one Roku device, it is editing them on the other two as well.

Yes - put them on separate Roku accounts.  At this time, that's the only way I know of.

renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: When I edit the channels on one Roku device, it is editing them on the other two as well.

That's the way it works.  If you want different channels on different devices you'll have to link them to separate Roku accounts.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

@Mrsjhubb10 

Let me add to what @renojim and @Strega said. But first, they are absolutely correct in that for Roku devices to have different app lineups, they must be on different accounts.

One issue you may encounter is if you have subscribed to a service via Roku Pay. That can't be shared with other accounts, so if, for example, you subscribed to Netflix via Roku Pay, only your Roku would be able to use that subscription. You son's couldn't and your daughter's couldn't.

But, to get around this, the solution is to not subscribe via Roku Pay. Instead, subscribe directly to Netflix (in this example) and use those credentials on each of the devices. That lets you have separate app lineups and still share the subscriptions.

Oh, and you may want to consider putting a PIN on each of the accounts to keep them from adding apps, since you're looking to control that. One PIN option is for purchases only, and you'll certainly want that. The other is for adding apps, and that may be something that will fit with your intent.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."