Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Philthy808

What happened to Spotify? No video, no audio...what going on?

Ever since the controversy with Joe Rogan my Spotify app hasn't worked on my Roku. I deleted the app and restarted it and it still doesn't work. What's going on here?

13 REPLIES 13
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: What happened to Spotify? No video, no audio...what going on?

@Philthy808 

Joe Rogan isn't involved in this or any issue with the Roku Spotify app. A better way to say "for the past three weeks" is "for the past three weeks."

You said "I deleted the app and restarted it ..." but I'm not clear what you mean. Did you:

1. Remove the app
  2. Reboot the Roku
  3. Reinstall the app

All three steps, in that order? No additional steps, no missing steps, no steps out of order? We just need to clarify what you've done so we can offer good suggestions going forward.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
makaiguy

@Philthy808-

This is apparently not a systemwide problem as my Spotify works well and I'm listening to it right now.

Do try the Remove/Reboot/Reinstall process suggested by @DBDukes.

To Reboot:

Depending on your Roku model and Roku version number you'll find the System restart option under either Settings > System or Settings > System > Power.

If this is a Roku TV, turning the set off and back on won't get a full reboot.  Use the menu path given above.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
evanaf04
Channel Surfer

JRE will not play at all. Audio or video. I’ve uninstalled/rebooted/all the suggested **bleep** that never works. The conspiracy theorist  in me wants to believe they just want to make it difficult to access. The normal person in me believes a helpful Roku employee could help resolve the issue. I’m probably wrong in my beliefs on all accounts.

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@evanaf04 wrote:

JRE will not play at all. Audio or video. I’ve uninstalled/rebooted/all the suggested **bleep** that never works....

There's a reason those steps are often suggested. They often work. So, "never works?" Nah. Often works. Don't confuse your experience with everyone's experience.

I don't Spotify. But, I downloaded the app to my Roku this morning. Did the whole thing and ended up pairing it to my account. Searched for JRE, and -- Lo! And behold! -- there it is.

jre-spotify.png

Whatever is causing things to not work on your end, it's not stopping it from working on my end.

Are you using a VPN on your network? Have changed DNS settings? Pi hole uses altered DNS settings. Anything along that line? If so, try things without it and see if it works. Because it works for me. As you can see.

DBDukes

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

evanaf04
Channel Surfer

Hey DB, we understand you are a “community streaming expert” but being a smug dbag on Roku forums isn’t going to get you anywhere. I’ll figure it out eventually, but Roku has a long standing history of not being a great host for the Spotify app…whether that be on Spotify’s end or theirs…customer service is completely absent. 

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@evanaf04 

Look, I’m not the one making incorrect statements. The fact is, those steps often work. And often and never mean totally different things.

You’re frustrated. I get it. But if you want help, there are lot of people here that will try to help. If you’ll let them.

DBDukes

Streamer317
Roku Guru

@evanaf04  It works fine for millions of Roku users who play Spotify music. A couple of posts here does not mean anything. It works perfectly fine for me to just like DB. 

0 Kudos
evanaf04
Channel Surfer

Read the post. It’s not music that’s the issue. It’s exclusively podcasts. Go away.

0 Kudos
Streamer317
Roku Guru

@evanaf04  The channel for Spotify is actually called "Spotify Music". That is how it is listed in the channel store. Hence my statement. And I just played a podcast successfully just like DB. 

0 Kudos