Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
donlammers50
Reel Rookie

Weird Won't Stream Through My Internet Connection (Error 451)

My name is Jamie, and I'm posting this update under my dad's account. We're all trying to watch "Weird: The Al Yankovic Story" as a family, and we have tried everything we can think of and can't get it to work. We've rebooted the system, we've restarted the channel, we've removed the channel, we've checked both the channel and the system as a whole for updates, I've tried streaming it on multiple different computers AND my phone, I turned on Norton's VPN feature, and I've even tried streaming it by creating a new account. NOTHING HAS WORKED. The only times I've managed to get the movie to stream are at my college and on my phone when my WiFi is turned off. Even when I connect to a different Wi-Fi network (and/or my phone's hotspot mobile network) I can't stream the movie. The error I have consistently gotten is Error 451, which is apparently an error for legal issues playing the movie, but we have a legally bought Roku streaming device, my computers are all legally bought, and my phone is legally bought and the movie still won't get through unless I turn off our WiFi. This leads me to believe that there is something going on with my Internet provider not letting me stream the film. What do I do?

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
MrXxx
Roku Guru

Re: Weird Won't Stream Through My Internet Connection (Error 451)

451 error is about where you are in geographical terms and whether the area you are located is legally allowed to be viewing the content. Sometimes content is legally only allowed in certain areas. Often, where I am, in New England, it is not legal for me to view certain content that is allowed in, say, the UK, Australia, or in Europe in various countries. Now, it is is possible that you are physically located in an area that IS legally allowed to watch something, but because your internet connection is being routed through a server that is located in a place that IS NOT allowed to view the content, you therefore can't see it even though you're located in an allowable area.

For example: I am located in upper central New England. Sometimes the servers my ISP assigns me to are located in Massachusetts, sometimes Connecticut, sometimes Burlington Vermont, sometimes Montreal Canada. If I'm trying to view content that isn't licensed at that time to Canada, and my ISP is routing me through Montreal, I can't view that content. I suspect that's what's happening in your case, so let's start with the most obvious question:

Where are you located geographically? What state or province are you in? For privacy reasons, you don't have to be specific.

onn Roku 43" TV model 100012584 running version 12.0.0
Twenty plus years of online experience as a web developer, general user and consumer. Recording engineer. Sixty plus years of troubleshooting and problem solving in several fields. Here to help and get help when I have issues with Roku. Nothing more. Not here to socialize. That's what real life is for. 😉
0 Kudos
donlammers50
Reel Rookie

Colorado.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@donlammers50 

A few options are available for you to diagnose whether this error is related to your router (usually due to firmware or failing DNS resolution capability.)  Generally, it is not the ISP blocking anything, but a network issue caused by hardware or software issues.  The 451 error has nothing to do with the legality of the equipment you own so don't fret about it.  The error is being generated because it is digitally protected content and the CDN has an issue as to how you are trying to access it.

1. Do you have a seperate modem and router or do you have a combination modem/router.  What is model number of modem and the router?

2. What are the Roku device model numbers (Settings/System/About)?  If any of these are ethernet capable, all the better.

3. Who is your ISP (internet service provider).

4. Is your VPN installed at your router (network-wide) or just at the device level (laptop/computers/phone)?  Norton can certainly trigger this error code when attempting to view online Roku Channel. (Especially if using Norton Anti-Virus on computer.  Try disabling/turning off both Norton and your Firewall settings and see if you can now stream Weird on computer.) 

5. Is Weird the only content you cannot stream from the Roku Channel or are other titles also affected. Usually only the on-demand content from the Roku Channel is affected when this occurs.  

-----

The two easy things to try and resolve issue is to run an ethernet cable directly from laptop to the modem (bypass the router completely) if you have a seperate modem and router.  You basically unplug the router from your modem and plug the laptop (or Roku device) via ethernet cable directly into the single port on the modem.  This allows you direct access to internet and should resolve the 451 error.  This then tells you the network wide issue is being caused by the router.

If the above works, then the next step is to check for firmware updates to the router or factory reset the router and see if issue is fixed.  Otherwise, try using another router. (preferably another brand).  If simply a bad router, using the same brand may fix issue.  However, if the issue is with the firmware, the issue will likely persist until the firmware is patched.  Using a different brand router eliminates having to distinguish which is causing the issue.

Feel free to post back with any updates or if you need more help.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

MrXxx
Roku Guru

If you're in Colorado it's highly unlikely that what I suggested is happening so I would try what AvsGunner outlined.

onn Roku 43" TV model 100012584 running version 12.0.0
Twenty plus years of online experience as a web developer, general user and consumer. Recording engineer. Sixty plus years of troubleshooting and problem solving in several fields. Here to help and get help when I have issues with Roku. Nothing more. Not here to socialize. That's what real life is for. 😉
0 Kudos
donlammers50
Reel Rookie

We ordered an ethernet adapter, so hopefully, I'll be able to update you on what works soon! Thank you!

0 Kudos