Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: “We’re sorry an error has occurred “ message on new CBS shows

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts.

As stated previously in this thread, you'll want to contact the channel provider support directly to inquire further. Many channels on Roku are developed and maintained by the channel provider themselves. 

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Same here. Thanks for not helping 

Jump to solution

Same issue. Delete -> Roku restart -> Reinstall -> Reauthorize fixed it earlier this year but no longer. Last time it worked for a while then failed again when I tried it one week later. Now not able to get past "sorry en error has occurred" no matter what I try.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Roku will lose subscribers over this, not CBS. Bye.

Antoine_SoBeach
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I can tell you @Roku-KarizaD that this 'solution' definitely DOES NOT work.

I have followed the instructions multiple times - at least once a week - explicitly over the past 6+ months:  

1.  Remove CBS Channel App

2.  Restart Roku (Settings > System > System restart > Restart) (have tried other restart methods as well of course)

3.  Reinstall CBS Channel App and revalidate on their Roku  website with my cable provider

Validation works for about 24 hours, then once again "We're sorry an error occurred" and have to perform steps 1 - 2 -3 over again.

Roku is manually as well as automatically updated constantly.  CBS Channel is manually as well as automatically updated constantly.

I have multiple Roku products, and the same error occurs on every single one.  I have multiple stations (ABC, NBC, ESPN, etc.) and this problem occurs ONLY on Roku/CBS

Roku and CBS are clearly NOT in any way having their technical staff work together to sort this problem out.

Antoine_SoBeach
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I also informed once again CBS of the problem:

https://cbsic.force.com/CBSTVE/s/contactsupport

Roku and CBS need to work with CBS to fix the validation problem on Roku where the cable provider proof of subscription is only valid for 24 hours requiring reinstall and revalidation every single day of the CBS Channel. NO EFFORT is being undertaken by Roku/CBS teams.

After I submitted the message just above, they replied with:

Success! Case #11653353 has been created.

Perhaps others in this community should contact CBS as well to help raise awareness of this problem.

Antoine_SoBeach
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

These instructions at https://cbsic.force.com/CBSTVE/s/article/CBS-How-can-I-stream-CBS-shows-with-my-TV-provider  DO NOT WORK

One must revalidate with the TV provider every 24 hours.  In other words, Visit cbs.com/tv/roku on your computer does activate the CBS station on Roku, but only for 24 hours.  One must revalidate every single day.  This occurs ONLY on the CBS for Roku station application.

The error message every 24 hours on the CBS for Roku app is “We’re sorry an error has occurred”

There are hundreds of complaints about CBS on the Roku forum, where the ‘solution’ of deleting the app, restarting Roku, then reinstalling and revalidating the CBS app again works only for 24 hours.

Roku
Once you've launched CBS on Android TV:

1. Select "Sign in with TV Provider," click "Continue." You'll see an access code displayed on your TV screen.
  2. Visit cbs.com/tv/roku on your computer or mobile web browser and enter the on-screen access code, then click "Activate." Your connected device screen will refresh.
  3. Choose your TV provider.
  4. Sign in with your TV provider username and password.
  5. Once you've signed in, click "Start Watching" to begin streaming your local CBS station, plus the latest episodes on demand.

What content can I stream with TV Provider verification?
Once you verify your TV provider, you can watch your local CBS station live, plus full seasons of current shows on demand.

From: noreply@salesforce.com <noreply@salesforce.com> On Behalf Of Margie Yanga
Sent: Monday, July 18, 2022 10:42 AM
To: roywantoine@gmail.com
Subject: CBS - Case #11653353 - Product Feedback / TV Provider / Roku [ ref:_00DE0ZiAl._5008b23RtoM:ref ]

Dear Roy,

Thank you for contacting CBS. We apologize for any inconvenience you have experienced but we are here to assist. Your feedback is important to us and helps our developers and technical team either improve existing features or add new ones. We'll pass this information along to them!

If you still need assistance, just replay to this email, or call us at (888) 274-5343, 7 days a week, from 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 a.m. (ET).

Regards,
CBS Customer Service ref:_00DE0ZiAl._5008b23RtoM:ref

Antoine_SoBeach
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Another ROKU user posted the following message.  Clearly, technical staff at ROKU and at CBS must communicate to get the TV Provider Validation Token to work indefinitely rather than for 24 hours.

The validation is performed on the CBS website

cbs.com/tv/roku

so TV Provider validation is very much indeed a CBS problem

Contacting CBS is futile. I contacted them first via the website, then via email, and finally via phone to tech support. They said this is an issue on Roku’s end; and because I have an account with Roku and not CBS or Paramount+, it’s Roku’s responsibility to resolve it. You’re up next.

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@Antoine_SoBeach

Thanks for the posts.

As stated previously in this thread, you'll want to contact the channel provider support directly to inquire further. Many channels on Roku are developed and maintained by the channel provider themselves.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
Antoine_SoBeach
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

@Roku-Danny-R

As previously mentioned @Roku-KarizaD wrote many times that a Remove-Restart-Reinstall sequence provided a definitive solution - which does not work.

Hundreds of Roku customers have contacted Roku as well as CBS regarding this problem, and neither company will fix or even communicate between the two companies.

From your message you suggest contacting CBS because "Many channels on Roku are developed and maintained by the channel provider themselves".  This implies that CBS alone is responsible.

However, CBS must do this in conjunction with ROKU and the protocols for validation set forth by Roku and industry standard interfaces for such processes.

In this case, the CBS channel on Roku is a TVE channel that uses rendezvous linking to authenticate Roku customers.  This three step linking process is the familiar code to be entered on the Internet for validation of the content provider - in this case CBS and my cable provider.

The final response in the rendezvous linking process is very much Roku controlled - a token (opaque string) is sent back to the Roku device written to the channel's registry.

The final step is broken - it is only valid for 24 hours.

Once again, Roku and CBS technical staff can sort this out quickly.

Here is the actual code snippet (this is from Roku) that needs to be fixed:

<result>
  <status>success/failure</status>
  <deviceToken>(opaque string to identify account for future requests)</deviceToken>
  <customerId>(optional customer ID if required by partner)</customerId>
  <creationTime>(optional ISO8601 date/time value)</creationTime>
</result>

Need technical help?  I am available.