Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Compulynx
Channel Surfer

Way to go Roku - Eliminate Aquatic Life icon.

After a channels update today, the Icon for instantly loading aquatic life is GONE on both of my 4K Rokus.

Talking with support is USELESS as they just want to uninstall and reinstall (which I have done twice)

Could not get them to understand that the app is installed, but the Home screen icon is gone.

Anybody else? Do an update and get back to me.

(This was NOT a system update to 11.5, but just an update to 4 apps, I am still on 11.0)

9 REPLIES 9
UserOfStreamers
Roku Guru

Re: Way to go Roku - Eliminate Aquatic Life icon.

@Compulynx 

Roku updated several screensavers/screensaver handling code today.

There are two versions of the "Aquatic Life" screensaver:  13.x and 3.x

13.x is only available for 4K/HDR models (and not available via Search), but once installed replicates to and is available on all models (including non-4K/HDR ones); no app icon.

3.0 is available via Search and installs and replicates on all supported models; app icon (prior to today).

In fact both will appear on all models as available in Settings/Theme/Screensavers once installed.

Assuming you have either version set as your Screensaver, simply set your screensaver start time to 1 minute, or preview them to get them to activate.

Prior to today, 3.x also (incorrectly) installed itself as an app.  Today's updates finally correct this mis-behavior, and 3.x only installs (correctly) as a screensaver.

The fact that the "app" for 3.x could be used to quickly load the screensaver was a side-benefit of the incorrectly installed screensaver, and one that shouldnt be relied upon to activate the screensaver (as you discovered since they fixed the install).

Roku isnt likely to roll back the updated screensaver support or updated screensavers, you'll just need to use the screensavers as intended: 

1) Wait for the configured start timeSettings/Theme/Screensaver start time = 1/5/10/30

2) Activate on demandSettings/Theme/Screensavers/<screensaver name>/Preview screensaver

0 Kudos
Compulynx
Channel Surfer

I fully understand what you posted, however I find it ludicrous that Roku REMOVED a feature that everyone had loved. (I am sure more complaints will be forthcoming)

My grandchildren could just click on the icon to see the fish they loved, but now I have to go through several menus to let them see it.

Great consumer relations!

UserOfStreamers
Roku Guru

@Compulynx 

Unfortunately it wasnt really a feature, it was a longstanding bug (that provided a benefit to you and others).

You can always provide direct feedback to Roku to bring it back, though its likelihood is very small:

https://community.roku.com/t5/Suggest-a-Feature/bd-p/Wishlist

0 Kudos
Tiffin

Bring it back!!! used this all the time.  Only purchased Roku because of this.  Roku Ultra now shuts screen saver off when going to, low power mode after 20 minutes because of Auto Power savings enabled.  When using the channel Icon it would not time out and you could control it with channel Icon and let it run, and still have the Auto power enabled for those time when it was enabled from the time out.  Now I have to turn off Auto power savings.

0 Kudos
UserOfStreamers
Roku Guru

@Tiffin @Compulynx 

Roku reverted Aquatic Life 3.x to the previous behavior ("app" install presence).

0 Kudos
Compulynx
Channel Surfer

THANK YOU ROKU FOR BRINGING BACK THE ICON FOR AQUATIC LIFE!

0 Kudos
philmz

roku should update the online support for the aquatic screensaver to avoid confusion for new users

0 Kudos
SleepyD7

Utterly ridiculous. This is does not make it easy for my elderly parents to use. The Roku runs too hot if you leave it running all the time. It was great to be able to just go into it from the home screen and get out when they were done. Good job Roku. Make it harder to use for your customers.

0 Kudos
Compulynx
Channel Surfer

Update your Roku software. They fixed this months ago!

0 Kudos