Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gidget2021
Streaming Star

Re: Watch TCM not working after July 15 2021 update

This thread was started 3 weeks ago and there isn't an iota of difference. It would great if we could not just be dismissed and actually get this working again. Is such a shame. Really - as it was so doable and watchable before. 😞

CrazyGuggenheim
Channel Surfer

I agree. They've taken a perfectly fine app and turned it into what should be an embarrassment to both TCM and Roku. Apparently, it's not a big enough issue for either company to care about. (I submitted a help center ticket to TCM in July. Crickets).   Meantime, I found a workaround by using the TCM app on my iPad and connect to my TV's via the Roku Airplay App. At least that Roku app isn't a dumpster fire (yet).   

n6rsh
Binge Watcher

I don't know about the rest of you in this thread, but I am receiving Watch TCM FREE. If it takes them 3 months to fix it, I still got my money's worth. I am willing to be patient and wait until they can put resources into this problem. I would think that paying customers deserve priority treatment. TCM and RoKu are aware of the problem and will get to it when they can. I can wait.

0 Kudos
Gidget2021
Streaming Star

@n6rsh wrote:

I don't know about the rest of you in this thread, but I am receiving Watch TCM FREE. If it takes them 3 months to fix it, I still got my money's worth. I am willing to be patient and wait until they can put resources into this problem. I would think that paying customers deserve priority treatment. TCM and RoKu are aware of the problem and will get to it when they can. I can wait.

Free? I'm not sure what you mean. Many apps are free on Roku. If it is free or $1.00 or $3.00 a month, this is not usable on Roku. That's the bottom line. If I follow your train of thought, WE have no need to 'complain', and ought to be grateful for a free useless app. It amazes me how people start attacking others, as has already been seen, because folks are speaking out and letting the powers that be know that this still is not operable unless one turns on the said movie and does not touch the remote throughout except to pause. No ff, no rr and no cc. This is not a personal issue, and no one needs to boldly emphasize that anyone is better than anyone else. I just don't get it. Woman Frustrated

0 Kudos
tcm65
Binge Watcher

Mary at Roku

Another two weeks has gone by and no response. The Watch TCM app still does not work. Is anyone at Roku working on this? I'm pretty frustrated that this issue is not yet resolved. Do I need to get a Firestick so I can stream TCM?

Would you please update us on getting the Watch TCM app issue corrected?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

I've noticed that all of the listed models are the 37x0 series - the problem is probably limited to those and older models (which is why other users havent/dont experience that issue).

I've tested the TCM app with a 2710, 3800, 3810 x2, 3910, 3941, 4670, and 4800 x2 - they all loaded and played content without issue - except for the 2710. 

The 2710 would load the TCM app, and play the content, but with no video, and it would crash the app back to Home within 30 seconds.

Considering the 2710 is an inferior model to the 37x0, this suggests the app isnt optimized for older slower models with less memory - or to put it otherwise, the updated app requires increased resources (processing, memory) that older slower models dont have.

Regardless, TCM codes and develops the app, and published the app with its increased resource requirements (which doesnt work on older slower models), and are solely responsible for it.

https://tcmdigitalhelp.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

0 Kudos
tcm65
Binge Watcher

StreamerUser,

Appreciate the input. Thank you.

Device obsolescence is a very good theory and I have suspected it all along but no one from Roku or TCM, who I have been in contact with already(see thread above), has confirmed it. The only replies I get from both is that they are working on the issue. If the Roku is too old to run the app any longer, just say so so we can drop this back and forth on an unsolvable issue and move on.

StreamerUser
Roku Guru

@tcm65 

I agree, TCM just needs to create a cutoff point for model support and publish it for their new app version if it has increased resource requirements.  They can also apply model restrictions when they publish to the channelstore (though these dont always work/publishers forget to apply them).

Several newer major services (e.g. Peacock TV, Apple TV) use the 3900 (Express) and 3600 (Stick) models as their cutoff point - meaning any lesser models wont be supported (e.g. like the 2710 or the 3710). 

That is not coincidence, as there are processor/memory differences/distinctions at those points which allow for more robust (and still usable) apps.

Both Peacock TV and Apple TV publish supported device lists, and TCM (and others) should as well.

tcm65
Binge Watcher

Just to let everyone know, I purchased a Roku Express 4K+ and installed it yesterday. I then ran the Watch TCM and it worked flawlessly. So, this would seem to verify the hypothesis that the older device was no longer capable of running the updated app.

I purchased the new device mainly due to the lack of any meaningful support from TCM or Roku to resolve the issue with the 3700 series device I had. I considered going with a firestick but do not want to give Amazon/Bezos any more of my $ if I can help it. Roku won out mainly for that reason.

Good luck to all and thanks to all who assisted here in the forum.

I figured The Problem is due to planned obsolescence, compounded by the fact that digital $h!t just blows. My 4~5 yr.-old Insignia Roku Smart TV hard-crashes almost every time I try to control a Watch TCM video, & about half the time TCM can't recall where I (successfully) paused a film. I too have tried the uninstall/reset/reinstall schtick, which of course didn't help for long if at all. Insignia support was very responsive & helpful back in May with a connectivity issue I had, & I've just asked them for help with this TCM **bleep**. I suppose a new TV would fix things (for a couple-few years?), but now is not a good time for me to drop that much coin. I may try connecting my laptop to the TV, as this was for a while the ONLY way to see closed captioning on Netflix's "The Man in the High Castle" in English rather than Dutch! I may also revert to recording TCM films on DVD to be able to watch them when I can, assuming they aren't all copy protected -- then, I could record them on good ol' VHS tapes! Sometimes, the farther back you step from new $h!t, the better things work . . .

0 Kudos