Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Evan2001
Reel Rookie

Re: Washed out colors when streaming SOME content from the Paramount Plus channel

Jump to solution

This issue is also with Roku 4 (4400X) And yes just 2-3 P+ shows I see it happen too so far.

0 Kudos
benherrmann
Channel Surfer

My solution (apparently for me, that is) is rather simple...

Jump to solution

As I mentioned early on, this issue had me scratching my head because I had CBS All-Access a year ago - which later transitioned to becoming Paramount +.  So you'd think that all parameters would be the same.  After all, my log-in for Paramount was the one I had for CBS All-Access. 

With the washed-out colors scenarios being highly disappointing, I began running various scenarios back and forth in mind.  I had two Roku Ultra models and one would assume that since these are on top of the food chain with regard to streaming, there should be no issues.  After reading one comment about the Roku streaming stick, I figured why not give it a try.  When I went to Amazon, I noticed that there were several types of ROKU sticks.

The one that caught my eye was the one that indicated it was a 2021 model - specifically named:

Roku Streaming Stick 4K 2021 | Streaming Device 4K/HDR/Dolby Vision with Roku Voice Remote and TV Controls

So I purchased that one.  It came the next day (talk about fast shipping) and I immediately disconnected one of my Roku Ultra boxes from my main 58" Samsung Plasma TV, and connected the new stick.  I really wasn't expecting an improvement - but the resultant streaming picture quality put a smile on my face from ear to ear.  All of a sudden, with this newer model Streaming Stick, "my" issues went away and the rich colors with good contrasts returned.  So I believe it has to do with the algorithms used in the older Roku Boxes.  Now, again - this result worked for me (it may not for anyone else).

I don't know what else I could add here.

NeilNYG
Channel Surfer

Re: Washed out colors when streaming SOME content from the Paramount Plus channel

Jump to solution

My model is 4640X and I have the issue. 

Evan2001
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Can anyone confirm it they have this issue with the 2021 Roku Ultra ? I wanted to upgrade to a HDR box but not if this happens.

mlc540
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I started this thread back in August.  I submitted problem reports to Roku and Paramount+.  Frankly, both asked me (repeatedly) to describe the problem, then each either went "radio silent" or pointed the finger at the other.  It's been frustrating on the one hand (this seems to be a hardware-software interface issue and one or the other of the principals screwed something up), yet reassuring that I am NOT the only one who has observed the problem.

Here is the text of the problem report that I submitted to Paramount+.  It contains information on the exact Roku hardware and software that I have.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Folks,

BEFORE submitting my problem report to you I did the 4 things that you
suggested below (39 years as an engineer, software developer, software
development manager in R&D lead me to automatically assume the
problem is on my side of the wire before casting stones at any one else).

Yesterday morning I did a bit more sleuthing and NOW I'm leaning toward this
being a ROKU problem. I added the following update to the problem report
that I submitted to the Roku support team.

I have 2 Roku Ultra's (model 4800X, Software version 10.0.0, build 4209-C2;
one connected to a Samsung LED TV and the other to an LG LED TV) and I
have an older Roku Streaming Stick (model 3810RW, Software version 10.0.0,
build 4209-50; connected to a Toshiba LED TV). All 3 have Paramount Plus
version 5.6, build 202107304 loaded.

The color problem that I'm seeing on The Good Fight occurs ONLY on the
Ultras. The 3810 Streaming Stick has NOT shown the problem (the color is as
expected whereas on the Ultras the blue color plane is missing, causing the
screen to have a distinct pink cast and blue items on the display to appear
pink or gray).

The question then is: what did Roku change between the 4209-50 and 4209-C2
builds? It would appear to me that they broke something or changed
something in the hardware interface that messes up the way the Roku
handles/display color plane data.

I subsequently got a short reply from Roku support saying that the 4209-50
and 4209-C2 builds that I see on my Roku devices are the same code base,
ported to interface to the 2 different Roku devices. Thus far they haven't
suggested anything else for me to try.

Concerning your questions below
- the problem started 3 days ago (on or about August 23)
- the problem occurs on my 2 Roku 4800X Ultra devices (but not on my Roku
3810RW Streaming Stick)
- all 3 of my Roku's connect wirelessly to my gigabit home network (a
Netgear Nighthawk R9000 WiFi router which is connected to my IPS's cable
modem)
- above I've given you the Roku software build information that I was able
to glean from each device - each has the latest available software
- finally, there is NO error code when the problem occurs (the screen simply
turns pink - you can see red and green items in the picture, but every blue
object shows as gray/pink - finally, I've ONLY observed the problem when I
played episodes 8 and 9 of season 5 of the Good Fight - everything else that
we have watched on Paramount Plus, Netflix, or Amazon Prime before, during
or since noticing the problem, display properly i.e. the blues are present
and the color is fine).

So, for the time being, I think that Paramount Plus might not be at fault
here. I suggest that you close this case number and marked it as resolved.
If Roku doesn't help me to solve the problem, or if I discover more
information that points the "arrow" back in your direction, then I will
submit another problem report to you.

Thank you for your quick response.

mikec

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Rm3731
Reel Rookie

Re: My solution (apparently for me, that is) is rather simple...

Jump to solution

SO my issue experience was when watching Seal Team and StarTrek DIscovery through Roku stick I had the oft mentioned loss of “blue” plane and washed out image.  

Environment Roku 3810-X stick; 5 y/o Visio 65”; SONOS Sound; Xfinity TV/Internet service; P+ streaming 

Upgrading from 3810-X I bought from Amazon in Mar’21(have no idea what year it was made) to a 3821 4K+ I just bought from Amazon and the issue had disappeared.  

Related issue I am now working if anyone has insight/ideas(not specific to Roku) When watching anything on P+ Through XFinity(have not checked through Roku yet), I only get 2.1(stereo) on my SONOS System.  All other chanels/streams(Prive Video, HBO Max, Cable TV, I get 5.1 through SONOS.  Anyone else have this issue?

GrayedOut

Jump to solution

I have same Paramount color washout issues on some of the shows.  If I Airplay them from my iPad through the Roku Ultra (4670x) it’s just fine, colors are vibrant.  Also, when watching through the Roku and it looks like there is a gray film over the colors, when you pause and use the arrows to get to a point in a scene, the little scene windows have the correct colors!  Really weird issue!

Redlodger
Reel Rookie

Re: Well here's the thing and it has me scratchin' my head...

Jump to solution

I was having the same issues with my Roku 3810RW streaming stick on any content streaming with Dolby Vision. I purchased a Roku streaming stick 4K model 3820R and it solved my washed out video issues. 

0 Kudos
masch57

Jump to solution

I was getting a terrible washed-out picture for Discovery on my old Ultra 4660X2.  Based on what I had read here, I replaced it with a new Ultra 4800R (what Amazon was selling) and that did indeed fix the problem.  Thanks.

Evan2001
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

THEY FIXED IT!!!!!

They P+ or Roku must have changed something because now it is all good.