Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BackUpPlanJaime
Channel Surfer

Re: Well here's the thing and it has me scratchin' my head...

Jump to solution

What kind of TV do you use with that new Streaming Stick?

0 Kudos
benherrmann
Channel Surfer

An older (12 years old - but working superbly) Samsung 58 Plasma

Jump to solution

Been using an absolutely superb 12-year-old higher-end 58" Samsung Plasma TV.  All the Roku boxes that I've used with this set have functioned just fine with exemplary colors, etc.  However, when I brought aboard the Paramount + channel, that all changed.

Then I read a reply somewhere that the streaming stick didn't seem to have those issues.  So I went on Amazon and got the 2021 streaming stick (4K) and figured I'd give it a try.  Not expecting much, to my surprise, it worked and the colors and contrasts all returned.  Can't explain it, and as I mentioned in a previous reply, the algorithms that Roku uses in the streaming stick must surely be different from their regular boxes. 

But just to be sure, I quickly connected the streaming stick to my other Samsung LCD TV's that I have throughout my house (a 36", 40", 28" and 55") and the streaming stick worked superbly with all of them.

So I don't know what else to say here. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Washed out colors when streaming SOME content from the Paramount Plus channel

Jump to solution

This is a Roku issue on the Ultra boxes. I have two  models 2017 and 2019 and two 3600x streaming sticks

and the problem only happens with the Ultra boxes, the sticks display all content just fine.

CheezWiz
Reel Rookie

Re: Washed out colors when streaming SOME content from the Paramount Plus channel

Jump to solution

I have the streaming stick + and I have this issue.

CheezWiz
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I started a thread over on Reddit. Trying to collect some reports centrally before I contact support for both parties. I have a feeling that the only way this will get fixed is to get them talking to each other.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ParamountPlus/comments/r0l9m5/color_issues_on_roku_are_ongoing_for_9_months...

pscarbor
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I have the same issue, but let me clarify: It happens ONLY when watching the new 'streaming only' shows. Live TV is fine; all other apps (Hulu, Netflix, Disney, HBO, etc) are fine. The older P+ library shows all display correctly. Older versions of the streaming shows are ok - for example, season 3 of Star Trek Discovery displays correctly whereas the latest season is washed out.

I've also noticed that I can reset the Roku (I have an Ultra) and go back to P+ and the colors will sometimes be ok for a couple of minutes before getting washed out again. Sometimes the color will correct itself, then wash out. Sometimes I get a pink washout; other times it's red.

Just my opinion, but for you guys contacting either Roku or Paramount+: Forget it, neither company cares and so you'll just be wasting your time.  One or the other of them will get around to fixing it in a few months. Until then I suggest you either forget streaming the new shows or accept them displayed as washed out.

NeilNYG
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I have this issue too on Roku Ultra.   Seal Team and Star Trek Discovery on Paramount+.  Just a horrible picture.

0 Kudos
MPJohnson1

Jump to solution

Hopefully this will help someone - 

I've got a 2019 Samsung TV that supports standard HDR but not Dolby Vision. Also have the latest model Roku Ultra. As many of you have experienced, watching season 4 of Star Trek Discovery results in a washed out picture. It also isn't signaling to the TV that it's an HDR image at all, despite the interface saying it's an HDR show. I even tried the native Paramount+ app on the tv itself and got the same result!

So I set the Roku Ultra to force 4k / Dolby Vision in the display settings - it complained a bit but I did ultimately get a picture on my TV. I then went to Paramount + and played the latest Discovery episode - and it played in HDR with correct video levels!

So it seems the problem is specific to recent Dolby Vision encoded shows. Maybe they don't have all the correct versions uploaded for the latest shows yet? I don't know. Hope this helps some people out there! 

0 Kudos
Rm3731
Reel Rookie

Re: The 2021 version of the ROKU Streaming Stick 4K does the trick and better than I could have imag

Jump to solution

Ben, Thanks for this update.  

I am fairly new to Roku and P+ and had noticed the same issue with P+ “new content” on “last years” 3810-X, which I actually bought in Mar’ 2021 through Amazon.  Ie. Seal Team new episodes and StarTrek Discovery.  As a test, I looked at the programs through P+ directly on my 5y/o Visio 65” and the color was fine.  I have ordered a new 4K Ultra stick and will see what happens.

Quick Question:  Did you get any indication if this is a hardware level issue on the older sticks, or can it be resolved with a s/w update?  The 3810 was not expensive, but hate to throw it away.

Re the old/new remote issue.  I believe you can pair the remote to the stick.  That being the case, could you use the old remote with the new stick?

0 Kudos
Rm3731
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

CW.  I have added a msg I sent to Ben H re this issue.  Hope it provides value for your research.

Ben, Thanks for this update.  

I am fairly new to Roku and P+ and had noticed the same issue with P+ “new content” on “last years” 3810-X, which I actually bought in Mar’ 2021 through Amazon.  Ie. Seal Team new episodes and StarTrek Discovery.  As a test, I looked at the programs through P+ directly on my 5y/o Visio 65” and the color was fine.  I have ordered a new 4K Ultra stick and will see what happens.

Quick Question:  Did you get any indication if this is a hardware level issue on the older sticks, or can it be resolved with a s/w update?  The 3810 was not expensive, but hate to throw it away.

0 Kudos