Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ejmorgan55
Reel Rookie

VidAngel not provided with support approval

Why is Roku no longer supporting VidAngel as an app. VidAngel apparently has applied many times for approval as a supported app. Why has Roku refused to approve them? I will not purchase another Roku product again due to the apparent bias they are showing and the disregard for their customers.

2 REPLIES 2
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: VidAngel not provided with support approval

@ejmorgan55 

First, understand that Roku removed all Private/Non-certified Apps. Thousands. This came 120 days after the notice to get apps in line with Channel Store requirements. Many did not pass muster.

Next be aware that Roku never supported VidAngel. VidAngel used Roku's Private/Non-certified Channel/App process to put an app out, but it was never approved by Roku. I can't answer if that was because VidAngel didn't code to standards, or because of the legal issues that cost VidAngel a $62-million dollar judgement against them.

I suspect, though don't know, that the illegal actions of VidAngel and its app were doing may have been a contributing factor. It would have given me pause. Since the settlement, and since the reorganization by VidAngel, they would have to start over and code the app to meet the requirements all apps must meet. I also suspect, but do not know, that Roku will examine any app submission by them very carefully before approving it.

Roku had a similar issue with PlayOn some years ago. PlayOn's app and business were facilitating video piracy. Roku would not allow the app. In that instance, Roku did target the app.

PlayOn changed their business model and apps, and now has two apps in the Channel Store. However, it was a long process before Roku decided the PlayOn app met requirements. I expect similar scrutiny should VidAngel code an app and submit it to Roku.

So, Roku didn't pick and choose apps to remove. And the VidAngel app was never supported by Roku. Roku didn't carry VidAngle; rather, VidAngel rode Roku, if you follow what I'm saying.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

therealben

Re: VidAngel not provided with support approval

Why can't you guys approve VidAngel channel so I can use that app again! I am really upset about you not allowing it AND not approving it so it can go through your approved apps!!! FIX THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!