Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MegSnyder88
Binge Watcher

VPN on Roku TV for Viki app

I recently had to download a VPN license on my cell phone for work and the Rakuten Viki app stopped working on both my phone and my Roku Express device. I was able to disconnect VPN services on my phone and the app works there but my Roku Express device still won't allow me to play content. I am not sure how to get around this. Any advice would be very much appreciated. 

0 Kudos
14 REPLIES 14
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: VPN on Roku TV for Viki app

@MegSnyder88 

Is the service available in your area? If not, then the service is not available in your area. And that's where the conversation should end. Roku Community Guidelines

If it is available in your area, then what is the VPN accomplishing?

And, if it's available in your area, what errors are you getting when attempting to install or use the app?

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

MegSnyder88
Binge Watcher

Yep, the service was available and I had used it up until I had to download the VPN link. Like I said, the Viki app now works on my phone, but not on my Roku Express device hooked up to my TV. I uninstalled the channel on my Roku Express, reinstalled it, but get the "VPN error" still. 

0 Kudos
Michelle3
Roku Guru

@MegSnyder88 

You need the steps in the correct order:

1. Remove the app. 
2. Settings > System > Power (if not applicable, skip to next step) > System restart.  
3. Reinstall the app.

It is always 1, 2 and 3.  Not 2, 1 and 3, not 1, 3, 2, and not just 1 and 3 either; those aren’t the same at all!

~ Jordan

I’m into videotapes and old electronics stuff, including extenders, converters and analog 4:3 TV sets (which are obsolete these days), and Miss Bianca is my favorite character in Disney’s The Rescuers (1977) and its sequel, The Rescuers Down Under (1990). I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you. ~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
0 Kudos
DBDukes

@MegSnyder88 

Still troubleshooting, not resolving. What about on your Web browser? Can you watch content there?

Your cell phone could connect to the Internet and not go through your WiFi. If you're cell phone is using your WiFi to connect, then this thought isn't valid. But, if your cell phone (which can connect and is no longer using VPN) is using cellular, then it's possible something was installed on your network that is causing the issue.

Testing with your browser should use your network, as would your Roku. If Web browser can't stream, then it's possible something on your router is interfering.

DBDukes

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

MegSnyder88
Binge Watcher

Yes. I did that. Multiple times. In that order. I am still getting the VPN error on my Roku Express even though it works perfectly on my Apple iPhone app.

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@MegSnyder88 

A message such as that would be generated because of something about your network.

I'm also not quite clear about why you felt the need to "download a VPN license." Are you running a VPN? If not, what led to your thinking you needed to do that?

As there is no VPN for Roku, it's got to be something else, so anything out of the ordinary should be researched before being dismissed. Downloading a VPN license is out of the ordinary, unless you have a VPN installed. So, what led to that?

DBDukes

0 Kudos
MegSnyder88
Binge Watcher

Per my initial query, I had to download a VPN to use my cell phone for work purposes. This was required for all employees to use the wifi. I don't have a VPN at home and am not sure why the VPN would be used on my Roku device now. If it is a matter of restarting my router, that's fine. I just don't understand why this happened suddenly and from one device to another. 

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@MegSnyder88 

Sorry, I read your initial post slightly off and missed about it for work. I've been through that before, and understand. However, it never cause any such issues with my setup, and as you think, it should not with you either.

If restarting your Roku and restarting your router has not resolved it, then it may be to do a full factory reset. I don't want to suggest that before it's absolutely necessary. That's why I'm trying to think of anything else apart from that.

And, just to be clear, on a laptop using wireless network connection, you can access the content? I'm not asking about your phone, so don't bring that into it. Just asking about on a laptop or other wireless connected browser.

DBDukes

0 Kudos
MegSnyder88
Binge Watcher

No, it is not working on my personal laptop either. I don't understand why it suddenly started showing this error message. I have not used a VPN at home ever. 

0 Kudos