Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Charitysmama
Streaming Star

Re: Unwanted Channels being added without permission

LOL, good answer, I own 5 so I do know what I am talking about, so next time make ur answer helpful.

0 Kudos

I also have 3 roku TVs and the SPAM is non-stop. The home screen is littered with random, poor-quality channels after a few days. This must STOP!!

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@UpsetIndividual, did you read the thread?  Disable the screensaver and/or stop using Play/Pause to dismiss it.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Mainebred

Yea nope no other devices not hitting ok or anything. Dead asleep remote nowhere near me and wake up to another 2-3 random channels! Your whole bs about it not happening is a straight up lie 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Mainebred

Thanks for the post.

We would be more than happy to look further into the issue for you, but will need more details. Can you please provide us the following information:
-Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times and provide us with this ID)
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing 

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos

Unwanted Channels being added without permission

Re: roku doesnt add channels with out the users concent 🤨 

It happens to me on my Roku Streambat atleast 3x a week. Its usually QVC, VIX, or some other random channel. Im beyond  annoyed at this point and part of me thinks Roku is getting paid everytime a channel is added to users home screen. 

Lbarn
Channel Surfer

Absolutely they allow it.  People will argue with you saying you are wrong but you are right on here.  It is very annoying that Roku allows or perhaps intentionally participates in this. Follow the money as they say.

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

@Lbarn @TommyHawk31 

I've been using Roku devices since 2010. And Roku has added apps to a lineup. However, I've not seen that behavior in quite some time. And when they did, they caught a lot of flack over that. Not as much as Apple with their U2 album suddenly appearing on everyone's iPhone, but a lot for a platform the size of Roku. Nobody liked it. And Roku stopped that nonsense.

When Roku did this in the past, it was usually in conjunction with a major service such as Showtime. And, when it happened, it was added to position 5. That's Row 2, column 2. When Roku did add an app (as I said, I've not seen this in several years) it appeared there. If it's somewhere else, then Roku didn't do it.

If it's magically showing up in position 5 (R2C2) then yes, it very well could be Roku. But then, when they do this, they do it across the board. Everyone would get it. So, that's another thing that indicates it's not Roku doing it.

So, if it's not Roku, then what? Well, that might take some digging.

Basics

You may already know this, but if not, here goes. If you add an app to one Roku device, it gets added to every Roku device that is tied to the same Roku account. So, log in to https://my.roku.com and scroll all the way down. See those devices listed under My Linked Devices? If you add an app to one, it's added to all. If you remove an app from one, it's removed from all. If anyone on any of those devices adds an app, all those devices get the app.

So, focus on that list for a minute. See any you don't recognize? If so, there's a Roku tied to your account that you either didn't know about or forgot about. And there is your issue. That needs to be run down. If everything is at it appears, though, we have to keep digging.

Manually added, intentionally

The most common way to add an app is to manually add it on purpose. That would be seeing an ad for an app, or searching for an app in the Channel Store (online or on the device) and adding it. It then appears at the bottom of the listing of apps on your main menu. Of course, since you were surprised by the app, this indicated you did not intentionally manually add the app. Now the question becomes, did someone else. If others use your Roku, ask them. If you are the only one that can get to your Roku, then it's highly unlikely anyone else added it, and we need to keep going.

Manually added, unintentionally

This is what I think is going on. Keep reading before you object.

There are two common ways an app can be unintentionally added. One is by a button on the remote. If you don't have Netflix installed, for instance, but your remote has a Netflix button, pressing the Netflix button (on purpose or accidentally) will launch Netflix. And, in order to do that, it will add the app if it doesn't exist. It's possible to cancel out of this process, but it's also possible for it to continue and add the app. Based on the names of the apps listed as being added, I'm thinking the buttons is not what's going on.

The other way is via a screen saver. And this may be the culprit. Roku often defaults to a screen saver that includes ads on the screen. City Stroll is one of several they have. Lots of the things in the screen saver are actually ads for services (and apps). And, as the screen saver progresses, different ads will be highlighted or have focus. That means that pressing OK or Play will launch that app. And add the app if it's not already there. That's why you should always use the Home button to exit the screen saver. Many use OK or Play. Don't do that. Just don't. This is why.

If the screen is blank, that doesn't mean the screen saver isn't running. It means the screen saver isn't showing. Or, if the TV is off or on a different input, pressing OK/Play to activate the Roku will launch the ad which will launch the app. And add it if it isn't already on the device. So, again, never OK/Play to awaken the Roku. Always use Home.

There is one other screen saver process that may enter into things. It's common for some apps to include a screen saver. However, it's also possible for something that advertises a screen saver to add an app. So, if you have added a third party screen saver, check to ensure there wasn't an accompanying app. This is not common, but it should be kept in mind.

How to stop

There is a way to stop people, to include other users or yourself, accidentally or intentionally, from adding apps to your device. Set up a PIN. Log in to your account and go to the PIN Preference page. Select "Require a PIN to make purchases and add channels." And don't tell anyone the PIN. That will stop accidental additions of apps. And it will stop malicious additions of apps. It will also stop Roku from adding, as they did years ago, should they ever return to that awful behavior.

With a PIN set up, an app cannot be added unless the PIN is entered on the screen. If you suddenly see this happen, consider what actions you just took and how they might cause an app to be manually, but accidentally, added.

Take the time to go through and check these things and see if the behavior you're seeing doesn't stop.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

kothvos
Channel Surfer

what’s happening here, is that when the roku screen times out, and you press “ok” to wake it up, it starts automatically downloading whatever advertisement was showing on the loading screen. Quite literally no one wants that, and it’s causing this problem. The way this is coded is not well thought out whatsoever, clearly made by someone who does not use the system. When a device “falls asleep” you should be able to press any button to wake it up without it selecting something on screen. You’d click in rapid succession to select something, the first click waking it up, the second making the selection, The Ok button waking up the screen while simultaneously selecting something (that often the user can’t even see if it’s still in the black screen state) is purely stupid design. Shame it’s not been fixed. Do none of the employees use roku?

kothvos
Channel Surfer

this should be fixed, instead of expecting users to be mind readers. 

0 Kudos