Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dlee0708
Binge Watcher

Unable to watch MLB games with MLB app since about 4/6/2022

Update 4/10/22: After reading that many others were able to watch the games with their Roku devices I bought a new Roku Express 4K Model 3940RW for my mom and the problems went away for her. 

Have had a MLB subscription for me and then my mom also has her own MLB subscription. We have both been getting the MLB games for like 5 years or so. This year my mom has been watching the St Louis Cardinal Spring Training games (subscription for a single team) and has been working fine. She also watched a few games on the 2021 season just before the 2022 regular season start. Then suddenly on either April 5 or 6th was unable to get the game. My mom started getting the problems (I hadn't been using my Roku) and would get all the way to selecting the game, selecting to watch the full game (not the condensed) then selecting the St Louis Video feed and it starts to load the game, but then that is where problems start to arise. Most of the time after about 15 seconds of loading and a spinning circle in the middle of the screen I will then get just Audio (still see the loading/spinning circle at this point, but it stops spinning), then about 15 seconds later or so will see the Team Emblems appear on the screen with the audio (again circle still on the screen not spinning), then about 60 seconds later the video will appear for a few seconds showing the commentators talking about the upcoming game and it goes for maybe a few seconds and then exits back to the home Roku screen (IOW, MLB app exits or dies). Sometimes only takes like 30 seconds for the video game to appear but then exits always after just a few seconds of showing video of the broadcast (Hmmm, Update: One time did get 30 seconds of the broadcast, this is probably one out of 10 tries but it still exited the same way after 30 seconds).

I then tried the same thing on my Roku and basically saw the same problems mom was having and started trying various things on my account to try and fix the problem.

I have done a check for updates on the the MLB app it's at Version 8 Build 2. Still the same problem.

Tried removing the MLB app from the Roku, then adding it back and still the same problem.

Did a check updates again and still the same problem.

This happens on all games including games my mom had watched previously before without any problems but now (since April 6 or so) no longer able to watch them.

I am able to watch HBOMax just fine.

This is occurring on both my MLB account with my Frontier Fiber internet and on my mom's MLB account on her Spectrum Cable internet account.

We both have the same Roku. About screen on Roku says:

Model: 3700X - Roku Express

Software Version: 10.5.0 - Build 4208-28

MLB Version says Version 8.0, Build 2 (Also did a check update).

I did notice that it seems the video feed (what little I get) seems different since it stopped working. I don't remember getting the Team Logos I see at the start of the video and the progress bar seems to be different.

I have tried to submit this to mlb.tv support but it is really awful. It has a maximum of 300 characters and even then I had problems. Not expecting much help there (the page said to give detail to help solve the problem but they are limiting it to 300 characters. That doesn't make sense) .

Is anyone else having problems or able to get the games. For those that are successful in getting the games what device are you using.

Got a trouble ticket open into MLB.tv but no response yet.

123 REPLIES 123
BillieAnnie
Roku Guru

Re: Unable to watch MLB games with MLB app since about 4/6/2022

Sounds like a problem on MLB’s side. You can try removing the channel, restarting your Roku and re adding the channel. Also restart your modem and router. 

0 Kudos
dwaltarnold
Reel Rookie

Same it's frustrating.  I can no longer get radio feeds to play simultaneously this year with whatever update was done on the system.  My internet speed is close to a gigabyte

dlee0708
Binge Watcher

What Roku device are you using. I have a Roku Express model 3700X which is 5 years old or older and thinking (hoping/praying) if I get a new one the problems will go away. 

0 Kudos
dwaltarnold
Reel Rookie

Roku Ultra, maybe two years old.  The menus are look different this year than in the past to change the audio settings.  Will play the feed if I listen to tv broadcast but not if I switch audio feeds.  App lags in general compared to others HBO, Netflix etc.

0 Kudos
dlee0708
Binge Watcher

Still nothing from the MLB Support ticket I opened.

But it looks like they are doing something. Yesterday after doing the Check updates and remove MLB app and re-install MLB app I now have Version 8 Build 3 (as opposed to Build 2 that I had yesterday). But it's still not working. Since dwaltarnold is able to watch the video feeds on his Roku Ultra, later this afternoon if it's still not working (after doing all the checks) I will probably get a Roku Ultra for my mom and see if that fixes it for her. For myself I will probably wait it out and see what happens.

0 Kudos
bnjstafford
Reel Rookie

I've been having issues with the MLB app since opening day (no problems with spring training).  When you select "Watch Live" it takes you back to the beginning of the pregame show instead of joining the game live.  It seems to only do it on the "home" team broadcasts.  The problem is with Roku because I've had no problem with my PC and my Firestick.  I wish there was a way to contact Roku to let them know this is not working properly.

0 Kudos
BillieAnnie
Roku Guru

@bnjstafford  As previously stated Roku does not make the MLB channel/app

0 Kudos
bnjstafford
Reel Rookie

And as I have stated, it is working perfectly on my Amazon Firestick and on all my mobile devices.

0 Kudos
DJ64
Channel Surfer

I made my first try at watching an MLB game today 4/9/22. Roku 3700X. Have the same issues you are. App loads & I login, select the game, the audio comes first, then screen controls. And as soon as the video comes up, it kicks out of the MLB app entirely, back to the Roku menu.

I've updated the MLB app. Then removed it, restarted the Roku, re-added the MLB app and it still does the same thing. On any game. Roku is up to date. The MLB App is up to date. On the Roku, I can watch Espn+ or Slingtv  without any problems. My MLB login on the computer and on my phone works fine. I can watch a game on either. 

My Roku (3700X) is on the list of supported devices and its up to date. I don't want to buy a new one when every other app on it works. 

0 Kudos