Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nightfisher
Streaming Star

Re: The ROKU channel has more commercials per episode than any other channel - IT SUCKS

That is my point.  It sucks worse than most.

I watch plenty of commercials on streaming as well as network TV.    Network TV is standardized with about the same amount of commercials per hour of viewing no matter what station.   (an old established behemoth)

Some day, the free streaming services based on ads will figure out why people migrate to the ones with LESS commercials than the others.  Right now ROKU is one of the worst.... and why I do not watch it.  I came once back after staying away from it... and it still hasn't changed.

And as a footnote; on Network TV, at least a person can easily channel hop a little to avoid the ones seen 1000's of times.  When streaming a person is more locked in, and therefore,  a more valuable viewer to the advertisers.

AeroSpaceTech
Roku Guru

Re: The ROKU channel has more commercials per episode than any other channel - IT SUCKS

I channel hop without cable TV. It’s called YouTube TV. Commercials don’t bother me. It’s part of life

nightfisher
Streaming Star

Me too.  Although even YouTube is starting to have more than before.  The Channel owner must have a say in how many appear and whether you can skip them.  Greed will eventually win out and they will end up abusing it like ROKU does.

0 Kudos
AeroSpaceTech
Roku Guru

I said YouTube TV. Not YouTube. YouTube TV is a cable tv alternative. So it has commercials just like cable or satellite does. Is there any particular reason you hate commercials? Some new phobia? 

0 Kudos
nightfisher
Streaming Star

You missed my point.  My point is that there are acceptable levels of commercials and there are greedy overburdening levels of commercials.  ROKU currently is one of the later.  Do you have some love affair with ROKU that you cannot digest information about them properly?

I was just making a ROKU public service announcement so others would not have to waste their time trying to watch the ROKU channel.  (nothing worse than starting a show or movie then finding out it is 25% commercials)   

I hope that if they ever get down to 10% commercial time that someone will post here and I can start watching the ROKU channel.

AeroSpaceTech
Roku Guru

As I have previously stated no one is making you watch the Roku channel. You can remove it from your device if you dislike it so much. The Roku channel offers FREEEEEEE content. Free always means ads/ commercials. Hence why it is free. Crackle, Tubi, PlutoTV, Xumo and Stirr all have ads/ commercials. I don't even watch the Roku channel cause I have no need to ever watch it. If you don't like it then don't watch it. Venting on here will get you no where. Even Hulu has ads and it is $5/month

0 Kudos
nightfisher
Streaming Star

I was not venting, it was a PSA.  I was not arguing against commercials... I WAS a arguing about the extreme level of commercials on this site.  If I paid for a service like HULU and they aired commercials I would drop that service in a hot minute.  That is the only power that WE have as consumers.

Have you ever considered that "maybe" ROKU employees may monitor this forum and could realize that they can get more viewers if they reduce the outrageous level of commercials?  It is a long shot, but you never know.  If I was a ROKU executive I would want to stand out above the other unpaid streaming services.

The real question is why are you in love with defending ROKU no matter what the issue is?

AeroSpaceTech
Roku Guru

Extreme level of commercials on this site? Really? This is the Roku community. There are no commercials 🤣

FYI….there are 2 versions of Hulu. Ads and ad free. More equals less. 

0 Kudos
nightfisher
Streaming Star

Are you not the same person who has been communicating with me since the start of this thread?  You are going to mince my words to try and troll me now?  You know that when I said "this site" I meant the ROKU channel.

Go get a life.

Angelxy

@nightfisherI agree with you.  Ive noticed that Rokus channel is having more commercial breaks than competitors. I dont think it used to be that way.  Id imagine other platforms may have relaxed their ads to create a more enjoyable experience.

@AeroSpaceTech Just because something is "free" doesn't mean it should be bad. I'll tell you what, I'll bake you some chocolate chip cookies. Some may have milk chocolate chips and some may have a proprietary blend of various fecal matters in the shape of chocolate chips... Because they are free you should take them and enjoy them without complaint 😜