Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nightfisher
Streaming Star

The ROKU channel has more commercials per episode than any other channel - IT SUCKS

UPDATE  - I thought I would check out a series on the ROKU channel since it has been a while since I agonized through a 2 minute commercial for each 6 to 8 minutes of viewing.

BAD NEWS - ROKU channel still sucks with more than twice the tolerable level of commercial time.  If they played half or less than they do now I may tune it regularly... but until then I will tell everyone I know not to bother.

21 REPLIES 21
AeroSpaceTech
Roku Guru

Re: The ROKU channel has more commercials per episode than any other channel - IT SUCKS

And your complaining why? It’s FREE

0 Kudos
nightfisher
Streaming Star

Re: The ROKU channel has more commercials per episode than any other channel - IT SUCKS

YES, absolutely.   So is network TV. 

I am making a VERY valid point if they want to grow their business.  No viewers to the shows equals no advertisers... unless they are lying to them about how many are watching their programming and thus commercials.

AeroSpaceTech
Roku Guru

FYI.,,,,,,a Roku is merely a streaming device. They sell millions. The Roku platform is the most popular streaming device around. The Roku Channel merely offers some free content. Roku makes their money off the sale of their devices 

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

@nightfisher wrote:

... unless they are lying to them about how many are watching their programming and thus commercials.

Nielsen has Roku data. The people advertising are smart enough to know to get data from someone like that.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
nightfisher
Streaming Star

If they make the majority of money off of the hardware sales,  you would think they would not be so greedy and let up on their commercials bombardment. 

I do not disagree with having commercials for a free service, it is a proven format.  ROKU is just abusing us more than network viewing AND most other streaming platforms.

I think I will start a rating service for ranking streaming channels by how much they abuse their customers with commercials.  ROKU is in the top 10%.

AeroSpaceTech
Roku Guru

ANY free channel or app has commercials. No one is forcing you to watch the Roku channel. I never watch it. I watch YouTube TV, Hulu, Prime, HBO Max, Paramount+, Peacock, PlutoTV, Disney+, Vudu, Redbox, Been using Roku for the past 5 years or more. Maybe watched the Roku channel like twice 

0 Kudos
nightfisher
Streaming Star

Exactly my point.  Either they should offer a channel or not.  Why try to make it worse than any other channel?

makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

@AeroSpaceTech wrote:

Roku makes their money off the sale of their devices

That has not been Roku's sole focus for some time now.

Article from nexttv.com re Roku 4Q 2020 performance:

Roku Reaps Record $650 Million in Q4 Revenue as Advertising Sales Spike 81%

The Silicon Valley giant’s market capitalization now stands at nearly $57.5 billion, having transformed itself from hardware/software technology company into an emerging giant in OTT advertising.

The “platform revenue” half of its value equation, driven mainly by ad sales on the fast-expanding Roku Channel, grew by 71% in 2020, reaching $1.268 billion. In the fourth quarter alone, platform revenue increased by 81% to $471.2 million.

Full article source: https://www.nexttv.com/news/roku-reaps-dollar650-million-in-q4-revenue-as-advertising-sales-spike-81

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
AeroSpaceTech
Roku Guru

@nightfisher  If someone gave you a free car would you complain about that too? No one is forcing you to watch the Roku channel. As in matter of fact you can delete it PlutoTV, Crackle and Tubi all have commercials. If you dislike commercials then watch Netflix 

0 Kudos