Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jsmith4340
Reel Rookie

The Dish Anywhere App won't cast to my TCL Roku TV

I have Dish Network and use the Dish Anywhere App. How do I cast this to my Roku 4k TV? You can't add the channel through the TV store and the casting icon on the Dish Anywhere App is grayed out. I have NO problem casting to Chromecast on other devices. Why can I not cast to Roku? If I had know this, I wouldn't have purchased a Roku TV and just stuck with Vizio. 

6 REPLIES 6
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: The Dish Anywhere App won't cast to my TCL Roku TV

@jsmith4340 

Casting doesn't usually work the way most think. You're expecting your device to do the streaming and simply use the Roku as an output. That's mirroring.

With casting, which is what you're looking to do, what really happens is that the device launches the Roku app and sends it information on what to stream. If there's no Roku app, it won't cast.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
jsmith4340
Reel Rookie

Wrong. I know the difference between mirroring and casting. I have casted the Dish Anywhere app to a Chromecast on many occasions. I did not add the Dish Anywhere app to the Chromecast or the TV. I simply connected my phone to the device, click the casting icon and watched the Dish Anywhere app. When trying to utilize Roku however, the casting icon is greyed out.

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@jsmith4340 wrote:

Wrong. I know the difference between mirroring and casting. ...

Actually you don't.

I'll give you a test. Find an app on your phone that you can cast to Roku. Say, Netflix (but any other app will do). Start the playing of the content to the Roku. Then turn your phone off. Actually shut the phone down while it's streaming. See the stream continuing? How is it doing that? Maybe it's playing the Roku app.

Want more? Go to Roku and remove that app. Then try that same thing again. See what happens.

You have the answer. It flies in the face of what you thought you know. But that's how you learn.

DBDukes

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
jsmith4340
Reel Rookie

Wrong again. I DO NOT have the Roku app on my phone. Yet, I am streaming other content. 

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@jsmith4340 

Nobody said anything about the Roku app. You don't need the Roku app for anything. Well, it can be used as a remote for the Roku, but it's certainly not needed. I never said anything about the Roku app. I don't know where you got that from.

Open the Netflix app on your phone. Cast to Roku. Netflix plays on Roku. Then turn off the phone while it's playing. Netflix continues playing. Because it's playing from the Roku app.

Again, do what I said to test. And you'll learn something.

DBDukes

0 Kudos
magoff1987

You specifically said "maybe the roku app is playing?".

0 Kudos