Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rbwksf
Binge Watcher

Succession ep[isode 1 will not load (but episode 2 does)

We are trying to watch episode 1 of Succession.  The recap loads and plays.  The blurb about listening to a podcast plays.  But the show itself will not load (just spins).

When I first go to the show, episode 2 is always highlighted.  We are able to load episode 2 just fine, but not episode 1.

I have checked for latest HBO Max code and restarted the Roku.  N change.

This is just the latest in several frustrating issues with channels on the Roku (Ultra).

Can anyone help?

Bob Warren

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Succession ep[isode 1 will not load (but episode 2 does)

@rbwksf 

Try the Remove, Restart, Reinstall procedure on your Roku device.  I installed HBO Max and was able to watch episode 1 Free without issue.  I do not subscribe to HBO Max so just watched as guest/not logged in.

1. Remove HBO Max from the Roku device.

2. Restart the Roku device to clear cache.  Settings/System/Power/System Restart.  On older devices, Settings/System/System Restart.

3. Reinstall the HBO Max channel/app.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
rbwksf
Binge Watcher

Thanks for the reply.  However, I see no "remove channel" entry in the options for the HBO Max channel.  Is that because I have a subscription to it?  (I was also not able to remove the Acorn TV channel for a different issue).

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@rbwksf 

Ahh, yes, it is because you have subscription.  It is required to cancel the subscription first before being able to remove channel/app.  

After reinstalling, should be able to watch until the normal subscription period ends.  Then will have to sign up again to continue.

---

The change was made to prevent users to mistakenly believe they canceled their subscriptions by merely removing a channel/app from their device.  Now a two step process to remove channels/apps if you have a premium subscription.

0 Kudos
rbwksf
Binge Watcher

It makes sense that one cannot not delete a channel for which you are subscribed.

FYI: I "solved" the issue by selecting my wife's profile in HBO Max on start.  We were then able to watch episode 1 of Succession with no problems.  I suggest this is some kind of flaw in the HBO Max app (some kind of caching issue?).

Bob Warren

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@rbwksf 

I think some have solved some misc. Issues by logging out of HBO Max and then restarting device.

I have never had HBO Max but it seemed to be real buggy in previous years in various forum threads.  If I remember correctly, I thought HBO Max had revamped their channel/app completely in order to work with Roku.

Regardless, good to hear you found a workaround.

0 Kudos