Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ronphi50
Reel Rookie

Star Trek language changed from English to German

Jump to solution

I have been watching the Star Trek: The Next Generation on Paramount Plus. Today the language changed from English to German. I had watched an episode earlier today and all was well. After starting an episode this afternoon the language had changed from English to German. I checked episodes I had already viewed and the language is also now in German. I had Star Trek Original Series in the Continue Viewing area so I started a playback. It too is now in German. I checked different Star Trek series and found them in English so I wonder if it is related to the Continue Viewing area. I checked the language setting and found English selected. I rebooted the Roku device and my TV. No change. I unplugged the device and left it unplugged for over an hour. When I plugged it back in there was no change. We have a second Roku device connected to a different TV. The Star Trek programs all come up in English.  They weren't in Continue Viewing. The devices are identical except there is only a 3-4 month age difference between the two. I found a similar problem with Doc Martin coming up in Spanish but it seems to be more wide spread. It was posted in this forum 08-28-2021 and was titled "doc martin language changed". One proposed solution was to highlight Paramount Plus and update it. I followed the instructions but there was no change. BTW i can view the Star Trek episodes just fine on my iPad with the Paramount Plus app.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Star Trek language changed from English to German

Jump to solution

Its not a permanent fix but this happened to me today also. If you are using roku while watching star trek press the star or option button next to the play button on your roku. Go to accessibility then audio track change to English. You will have to do this for everytime an episode starts. This has got to be a paramount issue specific to star trek. When i watch anything else it's in english!

View solution in original post

25 REPLIES 25
Shannons1
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Same exact thing happened to me today!

Jump to solution

Its not a permanent fix but this happened to me today also. If you are using roku while watching star trek press the star or option button next to the play button on your roku. Go to accessibility then audio track change to English. You will have to do this for everytime an episode starts. This has got to be a paramount issue specific to star trek. When i watch anything else it's in english!

Ronphi50
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thanks for the suggestion LesFreshFish. I'm not sure it's Paramount related since we have a second, identical, Roku device and all is well on it. I did originally verify the preferred language was set to English in the overall settings and also when I checked to see if there was a setting problem for Star Trek it showed only the default track was available. After reading your suggestion I waited until the episode actually started playing before checking the language setting in Accessibility for the episode. Sure enough it was set to German. I changed to English and voila I am back to normal. Thanks for the information. The problem now has a Band-Aid I can live with.

This still doesn't address the underlying issue of why it changed in the first place and only for the two series of Star Trek. I'm hoping the good folks at Roku will still look into this.

Nitmoe

Jump to solution

I am having the same issue with Star Trek TNG. It is playing with German audio. The first thing I did was press * to change the language, but the only option was default audio track. After exiting and restarting, it then gave me the option to change audio back to English. It still must be changed each time an episode is started. It's an annoying work around, not a solution. I don't have any new ideas, but I'm glad I didn't waste my time trying any other fixes before checking here. Hopefully someone will come up with an actual solution.

Shannons1
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thanks!  Your idea worked like a champ!  Sure enough, when I went to "accessibility" both the audio and captioning tracks are set to "Deutsch"!!!  WTH!!!  But you are right, you have to adjust it EVERY TIME you watch so I think it's a Roku thing.  But that is okay, I am willing to adjust it every time as long as I can understand the dialog.  Live long and prosper!!

DMS58
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I am having the same thing happen with the show Bosch, very frustrating.

ODIEMAN

Jump to solution

I am having the same problem watching Judy Justice on FreeVee using all 4 ROKU devices on 4 different TV's - This has got to be a ROKU problem - VERY ANNOYING!!! ROKU, PLEASE ADDRESS THIS PROBLEM SOON!!!!

andyross
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Double-check the Roku itself, as there is something in one of the Settings menu for specifying preferred language. Just verify that didn't change.

I just did a test with ST: Enterprise, and no language problem.

DMS58
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Setting show English as my language and subtitles English as well. Other shows play in English just Bosch on Freevee is the only one I have found to go to German every time.

0 Kudos