Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mangum

SparklightTV app work around on Roku.

Any ideas on how to get sparklite TV to work on Roku it works on fire stick is there a workaround? I would rather use the TV functions then add a fire stick to it.

0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: SparklightTV app work around on Roku.

@Mangum 

From the FAQs page it seems that the streaming devices currently compatible are Amazon Fire TV, Android TV, and Apple TV. (https://support.sparklight.com/hc/en-us/articles/1500001302822-SparklightTV-FAQs)

However, from this same FAQa page, does say that you can download the Sparklight TV app to a compatible smart TV, PC, Tablet, Smartphone, or streaming device like Apple TV or Fire Stick.  Therefore, you could download it to your mobile device (phone/tablet) and then cast it to your RokuTV or Roku device, or you could install it on a laptop and then run an HDMI cable to your TV. (you would then switch to this HDMI port and run it from your laptop.)

Although I did see the Roku logo on one of their pages, (https://www.sparklight.com/cabletv) and does says this cable service will be available everywhere, it does not appear they have yet developed their Sparklight TV Channel/app for the Roku.

Other than the above methods I posted, or alternatively using one of the currently supported streaming devices, another route may be to contact Sparklight and get an ETA/update on their Roku development. (https://www.sparklight.com/contact)

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
GWF
Reel Rookie

Has any progress been made to have the Roku streaming devices be included for the Sparklight TV app being rolled out by Sparklight/Cable One?

0 Kudos
larry989

I talked to one of their technician guys about adding Roku, and he said it would need to be Roku that makes it happen?

0 Kudos
GWF
Reel Rookie

Who do we contact to ask them about making it happen?

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @GWF @larry989,

Welcome to the Roku Community and thanks for the post.

For more information, you'd want to contact any specific channel/service provider to inquire further about whether they offer their channel/service on the Roku platform. Many channels on Roku are developed and maintained by the channel provider themselves.

Please stay safe and healthy, we thank you for your patience with this matter.

Best regards,
Mary

0 Kudos
GWF
Reel Rookie

Thanks for the reply. Sparklight says Roku needs to make the Sparklight app work with Roku.

0 Kudos
renojim

@GWF, Sparklight is lying and/or they don't understand how things work.  Do they have apps for other platforms?  Did Apple create their iOS app (if they have one)?

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
GWF
Reel Rookie

Thanks for the reply. Sparklight has an app that is not on Roku. They are planning to move their entire cable TV portion to the internet and get rid of the set top box. Roku needs to talk to Sparklight to find out how to mesh the two entities.  They are on Amazon and Apple and Google right now with their existing app..

Here's a link from Sparklight explaining the Sparklight TV app:

https://support.sparklight.com/hc/en-us/articles/1500001302822-SparklightTV-FAQs

0 Kudos
atc98092

@GWF Roku does not develop channels for third parties, so Sparklight themselves will have to provide a channel for Sparklight. It appears they have concentrated on Android and Apple TV platforms, so if they want a channel on the largest streaming platform in the world they'll need to develop it themselves. There is little similarity in the programming language used on a Roku and an Android device, so it's not a simple matter to port one to the other. Sparklight appears to not want to make the effort required to publish on the Roku platform. 

The page you linked only lists two basic operating systems supported: Android based devices (phones, tablets streaming players and TVs) and Apple (iOS/iPadOS and Apple TV). Nothing that is Linux based, Microsoft OS based or MacOS. You would have to ask them why they won't support Roku. And their answer that Roku would have to do it is a flat out falsehood. 

Dan

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos