Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Re: Sound issues Directv app with Roku

@Mandmporcelli 

Its the app - you need to push/press on DirecTV to fix it.

Mandmporcelli
Channel Surfer

This may be a silly question.  Agree it’s the app as nothing else has this issue on my Roku (no other apps that is). 

Is it the app and how it functions on Roku? That’s the part I’m curious about.  As I’m testing an Apple TV (mind you only been a day or so) not having the issue.  That make sense? 

StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Its a problem with the app's coding for the Roku platform.

The same app on different platforms are very different "under the hood" - though they may look very similar or even identical in the UI, underneath the code is very different.

RokuOS is very different from tvOS or Android OS or webOS or Tizen OS etc (all are streaming platforms, etc), especially in terms of how apps are coded and interact with the OS.

I recommend a multiplatform streaming strategy for the very reason this thread exists - bad software (firmware/middleware/app) updates can/do happen at any moment, and if you want uninterrupted streaming, you'll need access to a different platform. 

Aside from that, there are functionality differences between apps/services on the different platforms, so if you want the best/preferred app experience, you'll need multiple devices from multiple platforms.

I recommend 3 different platforms, one of which is Android/Android TV based for the purpose of sideloading apps.

Seals1933

THANK YOU #Mandmporcelli!!!

The audio issues you are describing in your posts are EXACTLY what we are experiencing with our DirectTV Streaming.  It also happened when the service was still called ATT TV.

And just like you, the ONLY streaming service that we are experiencing audio distortion with is the DIRECT TV streaming service.

Wondering if the problem is a compatibility issue, DTV to ROKU, or does this also happen with DTV to Fire TV Stick, etc.

#seals1933

Poppy2
Streaming Star

I am also having the exact issue. Sound and picture will be fine, and then just suddenly cut out, or get loud and distorted. In fact, it just happened. Only on DirecTV Stream. Started in the last few months (since July?). Express Plus.

Rob795
Reel Rookie

I am having the EXACT same audio problems! Driving me nuts. I even bought a soundbar because I thought it was my TV's audio crapping out, but I now realize that it is the Directv App on my Roku that is the problem. No other apps have any issues (Netflix, Hulu, AmazonPrimeVideo, etc). I also tried deleting and reinstalling the DirecTV App, didn't work.... Somebody from ROKU please help!!

RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

@Seals1933 @Poppy2 @Rob795

We're sorry to hear about the issue you're experiencing.

Channels on Roku are developed and maintained by the channel developer themselves. If the issue only occurs on one channel while videos from other apps play fine, that's an indication that there's likely an issue within that specific channel that needs to be addressed with an update from the developer. We would recommend contacting the channel's customer support team to report the issue and get help.

Thank you for your understanding.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Poppy2
Streaming Star

Maybe Roku could help that along by contacting the developer when there is a post like this on their forums. A poorly developed channel reflects upon the Roku product. Often, the developer does nothing to correct the problem. I HAVE reported this to DirecTV, as I'm sure others have. It has been over 2 months that this problem has existed. I'm sure that most people think that either their tv or Roku product is broken, and try purchasing a different streaming product from Amazon or Apple. It is in Roku's best interest to follow up on these issues to retain customers instead of passing the buck.

Mandmporcelli
Channel Surfer

That is the same thing the app developers say.  Typical point the finger at someone else.  So frustrating.  They told me they don’t have any issues reported on any other streaming platforms.  That this is a Roku issue.  And honest it appears to be true.  Have had an Apple TV I borrowed hooked up for the last two weeks and it’s flawless.  So I don’t buy the it’s their app thing.   

sadly I think I’m gonna have to move on from Roku.  

DrZeus
Reel Rookie

Having EXACTLY the same issue with roku ultra and direct TV stream app ONLY. All other apps do not behave this way... Very annoying! 

0 Kudos