Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mandmporcelli
Channel Surfer

Sound issues Directv app with Roku

Hi,

Been having an issue specifically with the Directv app (used to be ATT Tv). While watching (doesn’t matter what channel) the sound goes from perfect to distorted (either really low or totally static).  We have reset the Roku, checked the cables but it keeps happening.  Originally started just in a few channels but now happens on just about all of them.  This does not happen on any other app!  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

thanks in advance 

140 REPLIES 140
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Re: Sound issues Directv app with Roku

You didnt mention your Roku model # or firmware version (Settings/System/About) or app version (highlight the app and press Options (*) on the remote).

Try reinstalling the DirecTV app:

1) Remove the DTV app (Highlight the app, press the Options (*) button on the remote, then Remove)

2) RESTART the Roku (Settings/System/System restart/Restart) <-- MUST DO THIS HERE!!!

3) Re-install the DTV app

(If you dont restart after removal, settings/cached data associated with the app are left behind and it wont be a clean re-install)

Otherwise, report this issue to DTV:

https://support.directv.com/contact

0 Kudos
Mandmporcelli
Channel Surfer

Thank you.  I tried reinstalling the way you recommended and it did not work.  I also tried manually changing the audio settings on them Roku (using 3 ultras and 1 stick and all have the same issue) from Auto detect to both PCM-stereo and then I tried Dolby Digital.  That didn’t work either.  

will reach out to Directv 

Carse
Binge Watcher

It's not DirectV, it's ROKU. I suspect it is because of multiple ROKU receivers. As an example, I have two ROKU receivers. When I uninstall on one box it also uninstalls on the other.

Consequently, I suspect there is something not quite right with ROKU.

0 Kudos
Carse
Binge Watcher

BTW, I also have a problem with the video feed intermittence.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Carse

Thanks for the post.

For clarification, channels on Roku devices are linked to your Roku account. When a channel is removed from one device, the channel will be removed from all of the devices that are linked to the same Roku account.

In regards to your Directv channel having sound issues, can you please provide more information about the issue you are seeing? Is this audio issue only happen on the Directv channel? What are the steps to reproduce the issue? 

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Mandmporcelli
Channel Surfer

Hi Danny thanks for reaching out.  This is an audio issue and only happens with the Directv (legacy att tv) channel.  We also have Netflix, Hulu, peacock, and many others and none have the same issue.  

here is what happens.  When you watch the Directv channel the audio and picture are perfect at first.  Then at some point (no specific length) the audio either changes to really low levels (even though you didn’t lower the volume) or it gets staticy or is distorted.  If you go to another channel (like move from live abc to say espn) it goes back to being fine.  Then after some time it will happen again.  

ive changes out hdmi cables, audio settings and deleted and reinstalled the app.  Only happens on this app.  If I watch the directv app on my cellphone I have no issues.  

FYI I have 3 Roku ultras and 1 streaming stick and it happens on all of them.  

thanks so much for any help! 

I’ve experienced the exact same problem with the same app. I have a Stick+. Been happening for the last 2 months or so. 😡 

I am having the same exact issues with the sound being distorted and have pretty much the same setup(multiple Roku’s).  I change stations and it is ok for a bit then gets distorted after a bit of time.  Started happening when direct tv took over from at&t.  

Mandmporcelli
Channel Surfer

Glad to know I’m not alone.  Driving us nuts.  After all of my troubleshooting I’m starting to come to the realization it’s the Roku.  I hope they respond with a fix or I’m gonna have to go out and buy a different streaming device (which I really don’t want to do).  Im testing a friends Apple TV on one of my televisions and so far no issue.  

again really hoping I don’t have to switch streaming devices.