Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Sharing from a WDMYCloud ex2 ultra to media player help

Plex is simple to enable DLNA. Simply go to the web interface, then the settings for your server. In the settings menu there's a specific DLNA menu, and you just enable it there. You can ignore the remaining settings, as the defaults work just fine.

That said, I'd far prefer using the Plex channel over Roku Media Player for the vastly improved user interface. The only place RMP is better is that it will/should play one movie after the other without user interaction. At least RMP does with my Serviio DLNA server. And in my house, that's a requirement. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Jmusich
Roku Guru

Thanks. I will need more of a walk through than your post. 

Not sure how to do this ..."...Simply go to the web interface, then the settings for your server. In the settings menu there's a specific DLNA menu, and you just enable it there."....

And do I have to drop my Twonky app in WD inorder to use Plex ?

Do you happen to know if there is a you tube walk through ?

Thanks

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

You need some sort of DLNA server installed on your WD NAS device. I am unfamiliar with it, so I can't say of Twonky is your only option, or if Plex or Emby might also be available. There's likely no problem running multiple DLNA servers on your NAS, although there's really no need to. But for trial purposes you could install more than one and then determine which you want to keep using.

But just be aware that your NAS device very likely doesn't have sufficient processing power to transcode any files that are unsupported by a Roku device. Audio transcoding doesn't take much power, but video transcoding is likely beyond your NAS's abilities. As long as all your media is compatible, then it should work fine.

I prefer running my media server on a full PC. Not only does it have the processing power if transcoding is needed, it's simpler to setup and maintain than on a NAS device. Yes, a computer takes more electricity to run than a NAS, and the computer must be running to access the media. 

As far as configuring Plex, you connect to your Plex server via a web page. All configuration is done from this web page. If you have never used Plex, this would be something new to learn, but it's not difficult. If you already have Plex installed, you should be familiar with the web interface. There's plenty of YT videos that walk a user through setting up Plex.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Jmusich
Roku Guru

To use Plex or any other DNLA server on the WD  cloud devices one needs to install the app through the app choices given to the user through the WD dashboard. Yep. The NAS based devices are cheaper to use and do not need to be running. I am using it only to view video primarily on the tv through a Roku ultra. I am using either MP4 or MKV files. As to switch to Plex in the future I may happen. But for now I am leaning into if is ain’t broke etc. and stick with Twonky, I will look for videos. Thanks 

0 Kudos