Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Sharing from a WDMYCloud ex2 ultra to media player help

I have no experience with Twonky. But even with Plex, you have to know your file structure of the MyCloud to know where your media is located, so you can tell Twonky/Plex where to find it. I cannot find anything online that tells me what the file structure looks like on your box. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Jmusich
Roku Guru

I finally got through to Lynx Twonky. But of course not to a person. I put in the question. I also addressed my concerns about Wd Os5 with Wd. As I have said media was simply part of the prior Os. It just worked. Removing it created a difficult device to work with for the customer with as at least three different parties have to coordinate if there are difficulties for for novices like me. Do you know of a storage product that is plug and play ?

0 Kudos
atc98092

@Jmusich wrote:

Do you know of a storage product that is plug and play ?

No, I really don't. But I have a strong computer/networking background, so it's not something that I even think about. With a Windows computer, it's no problem to put the files anywhere you want, and just point your media server to that location. Without knowing how Western Digital configures the operating system on your NAS box, I can only guess where the location might be. As I mentioned, something under the /shares folder is the most likely place, but with Linux it's always difficult to know exactly where they are. Since Linux usually has multiple partitions on the same hard drive, and those partitions can be mounted anywhere within the operating partition, I can only guess.

Dan

0 Kudos
Jmusich
Roku Guru

Update from Lynx Twonky...What i did my choosing /mnt as the shared folder in Twonky settings  is the way to go..

Lynx Technology Admin commented:

Hi Joe,

If all the media files that you want to share are in subfolders inside the ‘/mnt’ folder, then you should be good with that configuration as the shared folder is configured with ‘All Content Types’.

Most of the users prefer to have separate subfolders for each media type, for example having ‘/mnt/music’, ‘/mnt/videos' and ‘/mnt/photos' (or something similar).

If the current setup works well for you and you are able to see the shared content in the Roku player as you need, just leave it as is now. An alternate configuration would be to have three separate folders, one for each media type as follow:

/mnt/music       (configured as Music)
 /mnt/videos      (configured as Videos)
 /mnt/photos      (configured as Photos)

Certainly I’m not sure if splitting the shared folder into the subfolders as suggested above will make a difference but is something you can try if you are not happy with the way the files are currently displayed.

Best regards,
Twonky Support Team

6.jpg

0 Kudos
atc98092

Yep, /mnt is another place Linux uses for folders like that. Like I said, they really can be anywhere, but /shares and /mnt were the two most likely locations. 

Some servers, such as Plex, wants different locations for movies and TV shows. Others, such as Serviio, aren't as fussy, and can mix movies, TV shows, music, and pictures with a standard file structure. But I find it's best to segregate them, for file tracking if nothing else. 

I hope that's all you need, and you're good to go now. 😄

Dan

0 Kudos
Jmusich
Roku Guru

I suspect so. However now I have yo make sure the the mac iOS wd app os5 works on this devices. Thanks for the help. It is very much appreciated. I am fortunate to have the time to keep at it. Peace.

0 Kudos
Jmusich
Roku Guru

Not sure if this is still being monitored by twonky. I hope so. As of today I again cannot access my cloud ultra ex 2 through either of my roku ultra devices. In fact when I attempt to configure the Twonky app through the ultra dashboard and go to share as suggested by going through configure nothing opens up at all. Any ideas. Thank you

0 Kudos
Jmusich
Roku Guru

Anyone from Twonky out there ?

0 Kudos
atc98092

@Jmusich wrote:

Anyone from Twonky out there ?

Why would there be? Roku is only one of many devices Twonky can be used on. You need to ask those questions on a forum that Twonky supports. This isn’t one of them.

Dan

0 Kudos
Jmusich
Roku Guru

I have done that. You will notice that there has been postings in this chain from someone from Twonky therefore the post. Covering all the basis. Also I see that the Twonky roku app no longer exists. If it did it would make sharing a whole lot easier. I am trying to share to my two ultras from my Myclould elite ultra. Sharing was working until yesterday. Got any ideas ?

0 Kudos