Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jmusich
Roku Guru

Re: Sharing from a WDMYCloud ex2 ultra to media player help

Well i hope this is getting closer ... I will attach to images  of the sharing steps I get with Twonky. When i click own browse I get the second image ...With a whole lot of choices. If you kindly point me ...thanksbrows opening.jpgbrowse to which _.jpg

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

What you're looking at is the file structure of the Linux operating system. Unfortunately, I have no idea where in that structure your media might be stored. My first guess would be under the Shares folder, and perhaps something within that structure. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Jmusich
Roku Guru

When entered / as the folder in browse the one video I had on the file appeared and was playable on the Roku. I chose / because it was the top of the hierarchy. However that is where things got a little messy. If I chose "album" I would go directly to the video. If I chose "folder" I have to go through a list of some in the choices that appear on the browse choice list in the screen snap. I think my only choice is to experiment. 

0 Kudos
Jmusich
Roku Guru

The Twonky folder worked for a second. But overall / seems be the most solid choice. But I will continue, 

0 Kudos
atc98092

Under Linux, the / is the root of the partition. It would be the same as C:/ on a Windows PC. Everything you see under / is a folder on that partition. That's why I suggested looking under /Shares. It seems a logical place for a NAS to store shared files, such as your media. /Home is the user's home directory, same as C:/Users under Windows 10. /mnt is usually where you find additional drives attached to the system, but with a NAS it could be where your media is located as well. 

Remember you're only looking for a folder to assign to Twonky. You aren't looking for specific files. That browse function might not display any files, only folders. So you just need to figure out where the WD is storing files. 

Dan

atc98092

If you assign the root (/) of the partition, that allows Twonky to "see" everything on that partition. That might be considered a security risk, so it's best to find the correct folder and only assign it to Twonky.

Dan

Jmusich
Roku Guru

I think what is complicating this is that there are two drives in a raid configuration inside the case of the Ultra. If I go to folder in the old drive the next level is the folder in which the videos are stored. If I go through /mnt the choice i seemed to need to make is album... I will attach a snap... roku screen.jpg

0 Kudos
atc98092

Don't go by what you see within Roku Media player. It only shows the presentation that Twonky provides, and is meaningless for the actual folder structure on your NAS. 

I just tried to search online for the default file structure of your WDMYCloud ex2 ultra, but can't find anything descriptive. I'm still of the opinion that it's somewhere under the /Shares folder, but without one in front of me I'm only guessing. 

Dan

Jmusich
Roku Guru

I am way behind the day with this.  I will check with the WDDashboard and twonky later. I also tried to get to the Twonky message board but my password went screwy. I will try that tomorrow. Thanks more to come.

0 Kudos
Jmusich
Roku Guru

I am still trying to get through to Twonky. The Twonky forum is inaccessible. I cannot get through to anyone for help. I have verified that the media server software that was in WD Os3 was Twonky. No answer as to the reason it is not there. I can see what I have drop on the Elite. But I am still not sure if it is correctly set up. I am beginning to wonder if the flex media server with the WD might be a better answer. Anyone have any ideas ? Thanks

0 Kudos