Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jmusich
Roku Guru

Sharing from a WDMYCloud ex2 ultra to media player help

old drive.jpg

First off if anyone has direct experience with setting up this particular device it would be helpful. I have an older WDMycloud and it was pretty much plug play. All I need to do is go to stetting and turn on DLNA media button to on. There is a tab labelled media in the settings. With the Ultra ex2 I do not see that button. The device is supposed to be DLNA friendly. I do not see a DNLA button anywhere. The new  device gives me the option to install both plex and Twonky. I cannot get an answer from WD support as the reason the newer device does not have that option like the old one does other then it it built in. I have now idea where to turn for help. The person answering at the Roku phone says engineers are working on it but is not able to explain what is being worked on. There for the question about direct experience.  Does the sharing have anything to do with network services setting possibly ? If there is a response I can share those. Thanks

0 Kudos
43 REPLIES 43
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Sharing from a WDMYCloud ex2 ultra to media player help

Is that image from your new NAS? It seems fairly clear that the DLNA server is enabled. RMP should see it on your network automatically. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Jmusich
Roku Guru

Thanks. That is the image from the old device. I do not see the media server button or more correctly slide on the new device. 

0 Kudos
Jmusich
Roku Guru

Here is capture of the settings in the new device the EX2 Ultra.. Notice no media setting at all.. new ex2 ultra settings.jpg

0 Kudos
atc98092

I downloaded the manual for that NAS, and they do state that it comes with Twonky DLNA server. I agree that the manual says the controls for it are supposed to be on the Settings tab, and yours doesn't seem to have it. I guess my first suggestion would be to check for any firmware updates for the NAS. Then look through the other settings and see if they moved Media somewhere else. Apps would seem to be a likely place for it. But I've never owned a NAS so no idea what the various tabs have available.

Dan

Jmusich
Roku Guru

Thanks...Everytime I  call WD I get a different answer. I appreciate your presense. Today they agree the slider should show up. Yesterday I was told to install twonky. I am now in the middle of doing a reset of the device, It will take awhile. It is then supposed to show up. We will see. I upgraded from WDmycloud home to have the media feature ready to go. My understanding was that it would be, Hopefully it will be so, Thank you very much. Do you a link for the manual ? Thanks

0 Kudos
atc98092

This is the manual I was looking at. 

Dan

0 Kudos
Jmusich
Roku Guru

Yep .. I went through the manuel and there it is on page 72. I am on hold with WD right now. The tab has not appeared after the shut down. Wish me luck.

0 Kudos
Jmusich
Roku Guru

Apparently that manual is not reflecting the update to WD OS5 operating system. I can now see the device on the Roku media player with Twonky installed as an app. However I can see no content. I only have one item on the drive which is video. Media player does not see it. WD wants me to contact Twonky. But now I am lost as to how to configure Twonky to share content. WD really did a job on it's service. If you have any ideas on configuring twonky please help. Here are screens. The first is the config area on the Wd. and the second is what opens when I choose configure. Thanks again. Opps they were reversed. 

configuring twonk.jpgtwonky on WD.jpg 

0 Kudos
atc98092

I had a hunch they had a firmware update that wasn't reflected in the manual I viewed. 🙂

I've never played with Twonky, but it looks like it's configured in a similar fashion to Plex or Serviio. You probably need to configure your media library. My guess is you click on "Shared Folders" and tell the server where your media is located. You should be able to browse to the location on your Ultra. Once you do that, your status page should see the number of media files shown increase to match your actual file count. Based on your older version, there should be two music files, 30 pictures, and 2,689 videos. 

When Twonky was built into the system, it likely knew where your media was without you needing to configure it. As an add-on app, you now have to point to the file location(s). On my primary Serviio computer, I have 9 separate library folder locations, so depending on your file layout, you might need to add more than one location.

Dan