Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
1DayAfterAnothe
Roku Guru

Re: Severe color/contrast distortion while Plex-streaming HEVC+EAC3 videos.

@GoPenguins 

I have the latest version and I did indeed need to uncheck "keep original" and "overwrite" and from that point it worked great... Not as fast as I'd liked...but not super slow...like it does 5 files at a time and that takes like 1 min 30 secs... 22 eps is done in about 5 min? I guess that's ok. One thing tho... After running the preset to remove color...when I drag the file into MKV toolnix  to check to make sure all color settings have been removed...they all have been removed except the very first one under color information still has a setting of 1 but the rest are blank...Even still, I checked and there is no red so I guess it doesn't remove color matrix coefficients.

0 Kudos
GoPenguins
Streaming Star

Something still isn't right, it literally should take a second to strip the colour info.  Did you have overwrite checked or not checked, it sounds like it's still copying the file.  If you check overwrite it will just simply remove the colour info from the source file and not make a copy when keep original is unchecked. 

Untitled.png

Also make sure your Strip Colour Header profile has no ffmpeg options selected.  Otherwise FFMPEG will run.  Basically uncheck everything except the strip option.

Untitled.png

1DayAfterAnothe
Roku Guru

@GoPenguins 

Here's EXACTLY what I'm doing. Open the recompressor program. Go to my hard drive.. Go to a TV show... open season 1 folder. Drag all the files of season 1 into recompressor... The preset is strip color...overwrite is checked...in settings...  I unchecked keep original.. The I click execute profile and it starts...but when looking at the season 1 folder... it's literally copying the files... you can see the temp file as it's copying and when it's finished it goes away....Not sure why it's copying unless there's some other setting that needs changing.

0 Kudos
GoPenguins
Streaming Star

If you have version 290

Untitled.png

Have keep original unchecked

Untitled.png

Have the profile Strip Colour Header with no ffmpeg options

Untitled.png

And overwrite checked, it should take a split second.

Untitled.png

1DayAfterAnothe
Roku Guru

@GoPenguins 

OK... Just WOW!

I know you had told me in a past post to make sure I had version 190...the day you said that I had literally downloaded it from the site... so I was assuming I had the latest released version... anyway... everything worked great. It was so fast that I thought nothing happened until, underneath each file, I saw "recompress complete".. Thanks so much for the screen caps to show me exactly what settings I needed...

One last thing...after stripping color info and then testing a file in the MKV toolnix header editor to make sure all color information is gone....there very first element remains present in the file...color matrix coefficients...the very first one...whatever the case... the red is gone so I guess that element isn't the element in question. I was just told to remove them all.

thanks for your help

0 Kudos
GoPenguins
Streaming Star

Let me do some digging on that.  I don't know what those are actually used for.

I'll get back to you.

0 Kudos
1DayAfterAnothe
Roku Guru

@GoPenguins 

Something interesting - I noticed there was another version update....but that's beside the point... anyway, I have a particular series that's a sitcom. HEVC video and Audio is AC3 stereo in an MKV container.... That particular series, when Plex is direct streaming it (not direct playing) it's RED....If it direct plays, it's not red. Now...none of the color elements are present in ANY of the files...they are all blank...If I drag the files into recompressor and run query... all files are listed as color space BT 709.... How? LOL There's nothing to remove.

0 Kudos
2ka
Streaming Star

@1DayAfterAnothe 

This is exactly to be expected.  If Plex Direct Streams, it will remux the content into an MKV container and *add* the color info to the header, thus triggering the bug.  Direct Stream always results in the red bug if the video is HEVC and BT.709.

If, on the other hand, the server decides to transcode the video for any reason (like bandwidth limiting or to hard code subtitles), it uses the H.265 codec, and the red will go away.  So will 4K resolution though.

0 Kudos
1DayAfterAnothe
Roku Guru

@2ka 

OK I guess I'm really confused now because the color elements are not present in the files...there's literally nothing there in any of them....I'm assuming if plex repackages it to MKV for direct stream (even though it's already MKV with all color properties removed), it puts them back?

What's even stranger with this particular series.........if this series direct plays the color is normal...whereas other series direct playing STILL results in red...the only difference being that the other series that direct play still showing red actually have elements in the color properties that can be removed...while the other series never had anything in the color header to being with...

so confusing......

0 Kudos
GoPenguins
Streaming Star

As far as the update for recompressor it was an ffmpeg profile update only.  The profile had gotten corrupted somehow.   So the add stereo and dolby digital weren't working completely correctly.

So the basic concept is you need Plex to play directly.  Anytime plex changes it for whatever reason, audio subtitle, you name it, it will then transcode it with ffmpeg which will add the colour info back in.  Which is fine if the Roku would handle it properly, but obviously that is not the case.

For me I set the option Force Direct in Plex.  If you don't have a compatible audio channel you will get no sound. Doing this makes Plex NEVER transcode.

When I rip a movie I always add stereo and dd 5.1 and that profile also strips colour header. And I have no issues anymore.  What the profile does is grabs the first audio and makes a dd 5.1 and stereo stream in the mkv.   

For this example, it's an old movie and already has ac3, So I just need to add stereo.  You can see the mapping in the log...

Untitled.png